• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ram memory full

ashwin95

i have a galaxy sl and as u know,it has 478mb ram... but after a couple of days when i check the ram memory it always is above 400mb.. i use plenty of shortcuts and a clock widget and have advance task killer....can u pleSe help me clear my ram?

as much as possible, only use widgets that you really need.. clock widgets run on background, meaning it uses RAM all the time.. i recommend you check your Task Manager and poke Clear RAM.. or you move most of your "In Device" applications to your "SD Card"..

everything that runs on the background consumes RAM

ok thanks..btw does having shortcuts on homescreen also consume memory?? which clock widget would u suggest?

we would suggest using the clock in the top right corner.....it on every device, i dont get clock widgets,,,,why have the time displayed twice one the same page?

Ignore the RAM. Even if you don't use any widgets, RAM will always be used up if you regularly use your phone. Once Android learns your usage process, it will pre-load the most used apps up to RAM so that they will open quickly. A phone with zero widgets will eventually eat around 80% of RAM regularly due to frequently used apps pre-loaded.

This is Android RAM management. It is not windows which needs more free RAM to run faster. Android runs faster and uses less battery the more RAM is used.

but sometimes when ram used goes above 400mb even games like fruit ninja has a huge lag!!! and its quite embarassing that my friends galaxy y plays it pretty smoothly!!! :-[

although, you may get lagfix for that but it's full of hassle.. i do agree that when it goes beyond 400mb it lags like hell :| i had this phone for almost a year now and i concluded to myself that applications that are "Stored in device ((default))" would run on the background like the Facebook application and applications that are "Stored in SD Card" rarely run on backgrounds.. so like it's a matter of where you store your apps.

i suggest you get root :)

its not even a month since i brought this phone....so i will wait for rooting as its gonna void my warranty....nyways after uninstalling weather widgets and deleting some apps,its much better....atleast below 400...but i have never seen my phone go below 200 since i took it.....

its not even a month since i brought this phone....so i will wait for rooting as its gonna void my warranty....nyways after uninstalling weather widgets and deleting some apps,its much better....atleast below 400...but i have never seen my phone go below 200 since i took it.....

i don't know if it's possible that it'd go below 200.. mine's on the average 270.. and it's good enough :D

-it never hurts to hit on thanks!

If it lags like hell when it reaches over 400 (i have over 400mb used RAM always and Temple Run doesn't lag), there's an app that is running persistently, like a widget or something, that is preventing Android from taking it out of memory for your use. Google engineers themselves have said that automatically killing tasks via a task killer to free up RAM is bad for the Android management systems.

Task killers on auto= evil.

Its all in how you setup your phone, that maybe you set it up beyond its hardware capabilities. For example, you set up your phone to have many apps persistently running (examples are Go Launcher, Go SMS, Go Contacts usually run persistently, and some widgets too, and facebook if auto-refresh is enabled) and cannot be taken out of memory for your usage. Lets say all of those use up 380MB, and you have only 100MB left memory. Then you try to play Temple Run and it needs more than 100, maybe 120MB, but the phone can't give it 120MB because Go Launcher refuses to load, then the game will lag. Just disable persistent running apps.

ok i have now rooted my phone.... so how can i control ram memory.. and how to install gameloft games in external sd card instead of internal sd card...

Back
Top Bottom