• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ram or rom issues?

D

Deleted User

Hi there,

I am just about to buy a new Samsung Galaxy S2x but I am wondering if there are any memory limitations due to the phone or the Android 4.0 OS. I presently own an HTC Desire (Froyo 2.2) with 576 MB of RAM and although I rooted it, I am still having problems installing Apps because the amount of Ram available is too small. I don't have that many Apps installed, maybe 40 or 50 and most of them are quite small in size (less than 1Mb) and have been moved to the SD card, yet I'm still getting low memory messages all the time. If I want to install a new app, I have to remove another one. I know the S2x has 1Gb of Ram but I read a review on mobilesyrup that states that the S2x actually uses around 3/4 of that for system use. I am mainly changing phones because of this issue (other issues as well but not as important). Is this app installation limit a peeve of Froyo2.2 which has been adressed with 4.0? Has anyone installed a ton of apps on the S2x without any problems? I do not want to root the phone until the warranty has expired.

Thanks for your help.

The SIIX uses 2GB of internal memory for apps and not the RAM, this is part of the 16GB of storage that the phone has and is partitioned. I have had 135 apps installed at once and that is when I started to remove some to make some room. The advantage of the 2GB internal storage is obvious, the other advantage is that some of the data gets shifted off to the rest of the 16GB; some games require extra data (600MB in some cases), this gets sent to the main storage partition. I have had zero issues with memory on my SIIX.

Back
Top Bottom