• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random restarts plz help

droidraf

Ill be in the middle of web searching or txting or doing whatever and the phone will randomly restart. Is there a way to see what is causing this ? Is this happening to anyone else ? please help

it happened to me like 2 or 3 times... but I think it was app related.
Are you rooted?

Oh, to test to see if the phone had been rebooted while I wasn't actually using it,
I've installed an app: Reboot Logger This logs when the phone boots and reboots (it also measures the amount of time it stays off).

Can you post more information, like what you are doing when it reboots?

Ill be in the middle of web searching or txting or doing whatever and the phone will randomly restart. Is there a way to see what is causing this ? Is this happening to anyone else ? please help

did your change anything on your phone before this was happening?

no i havent changed anything

I am rooted and it just restarts like crazy. It just did it right now while i wasnt even touching it. Started happening this week i have no idea why

It restarted earlier while i was in the middle of writing a txt msg ..or ill be in the middle of watching a video clip and it restarts. Or just right now its plugged in sitting on my desk and decided to restart

no i havent changed anything

I am rooted and it just restarts like crazy. It just did it right now while i wasnt even touching it. Started happening this week i have no idea why

It restarted earlier while i was in the middle of writing a txt msg ..or ill be in the middle of watching a video clip and it restarts. Or just right now its plugged in sitting on my desk and decided to restart

Hmm if you didn't change or mess with anything at all idk what the prob is. Try restarting your phone

Hmm if you didn't change or mess with anything at all idk what the prob is. Try restarting your phone

:laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl:

Oh that made me laugh so much!

Anyway, I can't help yah but mine has restarted a few times out of the blue. The last time it did I was using Gasbuddy's map viewer and it was trying to get the GPS going while I selected a gas station. I don't remember what I was doing when it happened before.

Only other suggestion I have if it gets really bad is a factory reset. If it is a rouge app then that might help but is rather drastic if you have a lot of important data on the phone.

Actually, what I realised with both this phone and with the Optimus M was that the random reboots aren't full reboots. Like eg. The phone will freeze for a second or more and then it reboots from the boot animation and not as if you were turning on the phone. (It doesnt display the LG logo, or the LG animation). Then random reboot causes the system to not even shut down for a moment.

What he meant by "restart the phone" may have been to intentionally reboot the phone with the power button or to reset the phone... back to factory.

On a different note, the reboots could be caused by an app not designed for this phone. Also, when your phone runs out of ram you may get a reboot, but you'd have to be seriously multitasking for that. I had the problem on my OM, I'd delete unnecessary apps and limit background data. ...though that phone was a hardware issue.

If this problem continues, you may want to contact metro. I hope you the best.

FWIW mine does a warm boot whenever I toggle data or wifi. It might do it straight away or it might take a while but it does it. My thought is the driver unloading and loading could be causing a kernel panic. When it panics the kernel needs to reload the drivers or modules and thus warm boots the phone. On a Linux computer you can unload and load modules from the cl usually with no ill effects. If yours is doing it a lot though I would suspect an app may be causing the kernel to panic. Have you adjusted any of the memory management options with an app by chance?

Back
Top Bottom