• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Randomly deleting apps

itzpacmann

My phone randomly deletes apps by itself... DOes this happen to anyone else too? My phone is rooted on stock rom and kernel

My phone randomly deletes apps by itself... DOes this happen to anyone else too? My phone is rooted on stock rom and kernel

Before I say ANYTHING ELSE let me debunk one myth RIGHT NOW!!!...Rooting does NOT damage your phone in any way, shape, form, or matter. What you can do with the phone after it's rooted however, can. You unlock access to everything when you install root enablers; thus creating easier access for viruses, worms, Trojans, etc. and also for yourself. So if you have any questionable programs you're not really sure of, or downloaded illegally from a warez site then that's probably the issue right there...

Moving along. There is a PLETHORA of things that can be causing this, so we'll start with the simpler tests/possible solutions then work our way up (or down depending on how you see it) in complexity.

1. Could be bad sectors or "blocks" on the "drive" that android is on. Typically phones notify you of this, so if there's no notification there's a 99% chance this is NOT the case.

2. Overheating - Yup, it's a bitch...but, it's an OBVIOUS one! Just because your phone is "able to be held" doesn't mean that it's not hot as hell on the inside. My recommendation is to go online, and look for infrared thermometers with a laser pointer attached to show you where the thermostat is pointing to.
Get as close to the "internals" of the phone as possible, and test the temps. Also note that doing so from the front of the phone via the center of the screen will yield the hottest point of the phone's innards that you CAN'T access. Now, obviously, you'll want to deduct, or add a few degrees depending on room temperature, as you're monitoring the SURFACE temperature, not the internals. If it says 32c and your room's 75 degrees obviously add a few just to be safe. What's the max safe temp for this phone? Well, I believe that it's in the manual, but I may be wrong. Typically for a 25nm chip which I believe this one is the safe temp range is anywhere between 10c-75c BUT I CAN NOT GUARANTEE THAT FOR THIS PHONE. I would say 40c is a more likely result for this device.

3. Overclocking - Just because your phone runs an overclock for an hour or two stable while gaming doesn't mean it can forever. And believe it or not, this can cause VERY adverse effects on things. While a processor can not very well just "delete apps" when restarting, it CAN leak blocks of information when force restarted, and in the middle of processing application data for the given app that's missing.
There's a chance it may not be missing, but instead damaged JUST enough to where it's "unreadable."

4. User error - This ties in with the whole rooting thing, but let's face it - A good 65% of errors that people have are PEBKAC (Player Error Between Keyboard, and Chair - YOU! ) This is not to say that you ARE the issue, but you're a possibility in the sense that you may have done something that could be causing this, whether it's overclocking, viruses, or just plain ignorance, and not paying attention to what you were doing when you did it.

5. Virus - I save this for last because believe it or not...just because you have antivirus does NOT mean you are safe...at ALL. Antivirus typically does JUST that, it protects you BEFORE you get it...not after. Even still some of the ones that DO protect you after may not have your virus in their database, or may not know how to defend against it. On top of that, even if they DO know how to prevent it, and fight against it, sometimes they don't know how to GET RID OF IT! This is a huge problem as all they can do is quarantine it...which leaves it on your phone in a sort of "virtual limbo" which includes the possibility of resurrection if coded properly leaving it available for external execution (third party launching.)

I'm sure that there could be other possibilities, but I'm tired of typing atm, and I feel I've given you enough to look into for now. When/if you need more help give us a shout and we'll do what we can!

Back
Top Bottom