• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RCS confusion

Google says that RCS is a feature of all Android phones. I have a NokiaCO2 with Android 12, that shows a message 'RCS is not available on this device'. An older Samsung with Android 7 had been giving me RCS, but that stopped on about August 1. I do my texting from a PC, through Google's Messages for Web, in which I had maybe a dozen contacts with whom I could exchange RCS messages - but no longer. In the text bar it used to show 'RCS', but now only 'SMS'. I have one remaining contact which still prompts 'RCS', but I expect that if I actually TRY to send a message, that will change to SMS, just like the other dozen contacts. In a practical sense I know RCS enables 'rich text' to be exchanged - and that requires Data or WiFi. My SIM 'plan' has minimal DATA. I can no longer exchange images or emojs or URLs which is a great loss, yet the phone is still connected to my WiFi. I'm very confused, and annoyed and inconvenienced and am hoping someone can make sense of this mess and tell me how to restore the earlier RCS functionality. Can it be related to the phasing out of 3G ?

Last edited:
If your Samsung stopped supporting it that will be a software thing, unless the Samsung is rooted (I've read that Google have started silently blocking rooted devices from RCS). Could be something like Google have updated the requirements and your old phone, which hasn't had an update for years and is stuck on an old API level, isn't compatible with the latest version. I don't know of any changes, but I don't follow RCS closely.

'that will be a software thing' - so the problem is with Google's Messages ..... ? I should update the phone app and or the Desktop program .... ?

'If your Samsung stopped supporting it' - all the indications ON THE PHONE suggest that RCS is enabled .....
The lack of 'RCS' (SMS shows in its stead) shows in Google's desktop program Messages for Web.

On your prompting, I have checked in the phone's SETTINGs and found the last check for software update was in March 2022 - so I have accepted a suggested time for software updates - later tonight. Presumably tomorrow the date of the most recent check will be 'today'. That will not tell me if Google Messages have updated.

I can find absolutely NO clue to the updating of the desktop program.

Last edited:
have you checked in these settings from this article?

also you have an android go phone. not sure if android go supports rcs. i tried googling it and could not find anything if they do or not. you can verify if it does support it via the above article. android go is a much stripped down version of the android os, so i am not sure if it supports it or not.

'that will be a software thing' - so the problem is with Google's Messages ..... ? I should update the phone app and or the Desktop program .... ?
Not necessarily: although RCS started life as an open standard, nobody adopted it and the current RCS system is run by Google using Google's infrastructure (so very much like iMessage for Apple devices uses Apple's servers to provide a similar service). Hence it could be a software thing at Google's end, e.g. their now requiring support for software features that your old phone doesn't have.

So sure, if you can update those apps then give it a try. If there is a system update available for the phone give that a try (though for something as old as your Samsung I'll be very surprised). But no promises, because the reason it stopped might be something at Google's end that an old phone doesn't have available. I don't know, I'm just taking a best guess with the information available.
'If your Samsung stopped supporting it' - all the indications ON THE PHONE suggest that RCS is enabled .....
The lack of 'RCS' (SMS shows in its stead) shows in Google's desktop program Messages for Web.
So can you send an RCS message from the phone? That would tell us whether the indications on the phone are correct or not, and if it worked would mean that the problem lies in the Messages for Web interface (which may still mean the phone is involved - I don't use Messages, but similar interfaces for some other systems require that the phone is connected to the network even when you are using the computer to send).
On your prompting, I have checked in the phone's SETTINGs and found the last check for software update was in March 2022 - so I have accepted a suggested time for software updates - later tonight. Presumably tomorrow the date of the most recent check will be 'today'. That will not tell me if Google Messages have updated.

I can find absolutely NO clue to the updating of the desktop program.
The Messages app on your phone should update via the Play Store, so shouldn't need any scheduling. The last update to that app was 3 days ago, though the last update for your phone might be older (because it will depend on the phone's software, particularly Application Programming Interface level which will depend on how recent the system software is).

I think Messages for Web is something that runs over the web (i.e. via a browser) rather than a program in its own right on you compter. If so then updating that app on your computer isn't an option, your browser gives you whatever Google provide currently. My only thought is to try re-pairing it with the phone, but if it already works but doesn't show RCS as an option that doesn't sound like the problem.

Last edited:
have you checked in these settings from this article?

also you have an android go phone. not sure if android go supports rcs. i tried googling it and could not find anything if they do or not. you can verify if it does support it via the above article. android go is a much stripped down version of the android os, so i am not sure if it supports it or not.

I checked that on my Android phones, that are Huawei Mate 10 on EE. Samsung Note 20 Ultra on China Unicom roaming in UK, NO RCS available.

I don't usually use SMS or MMS anyway. I message friends and family by WhatsApp and WeChat.

Last edited:
Google has been trying to force-feed its RCS protocol as a default for text messaging for quite a while now. But while Google is, for now, making the RCS api freely available the fact that RCS is a closed-source, proprietary standard is something other companies have to be wary of -- RCS is owned by Google a corporation with a long, very loose history with supporting its own products. It's history record of text messaging is even more tragic.

Keep in mind SMS is a text-only protocol, so SMS messages are all very minuscule in size, just a few kilobytes. They require very little bandwidth to be transferred.
RCS however is a muich more involved, complicated, text/image/formatting protocol. a RCS message will be a few to several megabytes in size. It will require a lot more bandwidth. A basic cellular connection can easily handle a SMS message, but RCS is by nature going to need mobile data (or alternatively WiFi).

Ocnbrze - 'you have an android go phone' - First time I have heard of 'Android Go'. Is there some way I can confirm for myself that it is an Android Go ? Thank you for the URL - looks informative.

Hadron - 'So can you send an RCS message from the phone? ' I used to be able to (and receive), but that stopped some time around Aug1.
'I think Messages for Web is something that runs over the web (i.e. via a browser) rather than a program in its own right on you compter. ' I can confirm that.

SVIM - 'RCS is by nature going to need mobile data (or alternatively WiFi)' - That is the advantage IN MY CASE, because I leave the phone at the PC, where it has access to the WiFi from my modem - and I have no need for Data in my phone plan. [Dodo has recently ended its CALLS-&-SMS-ONLY service, so now I have to pay for Data although I don't need it].

Ocnbrze - 'you have an android go phone' - First time I have heard of 'Android Go'. Is there some way I can confirm for myself that it is an Android Go ? Thank you for the URL - looks informative.

Hadron - 'So can you send an RCS message from the phone? ' I used to be able to (and receive), but that stopped some time around Aug1.
'I think Messages for Web is something that runs over the web (i.e. via a browser) rather than a program in its own right on you compter. ' I can confirm that.

SVIM - 'RCS is by nature going to need mobile data (or alternatively WiFi)' - That is the advantage IN MY CASE, because I leave the phone at the PC, where it has access to the WiFi from my modem - and I have no need for Data in my phone plan. [Dodo has recently ended its CALLS-&-SMS-ONLY service, so now I have to pay for Data although I don't need it].
just an fyi at the bottom right of a post you want to quote there should be a quote option. you can also use the reply option for just a single reply.

according to gsmarena, your phone is an android go phone:

here are some info on android go. it is basically a stripped-down version of android......so somethings that apply to the android os may not apply to android go.

Ocnbrze - Thanks for those URLs about Android Go.

'at the bottom right of a post you want to quote there should be a quote option. you can also use the reply option for just a single reply.'
It will take me some microseconds to digest the implications of that.

Ocnbrze - Thanks for those URLs about Android Go.

'at the bottom right of a post you want to quote there should be a quote option. you can also use the reply option for just a single reply.'
It will take me some microseconds to digest the implications of that.
look at my post. at the bottom of it in blue, there should be options for "like" "+quote" and "reply".

you can "like" a post if you like what the poster said.
you can select the "+quote" if you want to quote more than one post.
or you can "reply" to a specific post

Screenshot_20240818_004202_Chrome_2.jpg

Yes, I was aware of the location of the tools - thank you anyway for showing me and confirming my 'knowledge'.
It is the effect of those tools that makes me hesitate,
I am already replying, so see no use for the reply tool.
The QUOTE makes me wonder HOW much of a post will be quoted. I typically like to target 'phrases' for reply rather than posts.

Yes, I was aware of the location of the tools - thank you anyway for showing me and confirming my 'knowledge'.
It is the effect of those tools that makes me hesitate,
I am already replying, so see no use for the reply tool.
The QUOTE makes me wonder HOW much of a post will be quoted. I

You can edit the quote for the parts you want to use and emphasise.

typically like to target 'phrases' for reply rather than posts.

And the phrases you want to target.

Back
Top Bottom