• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ready to break my phone

So, I have finally resorted to making a help thread to help me fix my rooted D3. I feel like I have tried everything, and I always hit roadblocks, or threads just aren't detailed enough. So, here goes...

About 2 months ago, I rooted my phone using Pete's One Click Root. Worked fine. Installed safestrap, installed TBPro, installed ES File Manager. Backed up all my apps, and did the recovery thing with safestrap. Like a lot of people, I deleted the Yahoo Contacts crap, and now I can't edit or save any new numbers or existing numbers in my phone. Upon further research, it's an easy fix. First thing I did was restore all my backed up apps with TBPro. For whatever reason, this didn't put the Yahoo Contacts apk stuff back on my phone. Found a thread where a guy had all the apks and odex files for the fix, I got the zip, put them in the correct folder (which no one seems to actually say how to change permissions, or how to change what directory you're in. I figured that out from my friend), and then "installed" them. I noticed that the odex files didn't exist after I extracted them there. Another post said that your phone will tell you it's not installed, but then you reboot and it's fine. No luck for me. Tried doing an sbf, and RSDLite won't recognize my phone when it's in the fastboot deal, can't find a good mirror for the script used to sbf, and I am just frustrated as hell. I'm about to find a way to make the keyboard not work, get a new one, and start over. I learned AFTER deleting apps with TBPro that I should have froze them, instead. But what's done is done, and I can't figure this out to save my life. Is my best bet just breaking my phone, or is there something I am missing? Thanks for any help...

I've also factory reset my phone 3 times, never helped. I had unrooted it for a few days and try that, no luck. It is currently ROOTED, and I just really wanna find a way to get the Yahoo Contact stuff working on my phone. The way it is explained, for whatever reason, doesn't work on my phone.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming that you're on stock, rooted 5.6.890? If so, you need odexed files. I believe that Hashcode has a stock deodexed ROM which you could probably flash directly over your current system and it would have everything you need to get running again and it wouldn't require a data wipe. The only difference is odexed vs. deodexed IIRC.

Maybe read through this...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1164736

Upvote 0
About 2 months ago, I rooted my phone using Pete's One Click Root. Worked fine. Installed safestrap, installed TBPro, installed ES File Manager. Backed up all my apps, and did the recovery thing with safestrap. Like a lot of people, I deleted the Yahoo Contacts crap, and now I can't edit or save any new numbers or existing numbers in my phone. Upon further research, it's an easy fix. First thing I did was restore all my backed up apps with TBPro. For whatever reason, this didn't put the Yahoo Contacts apk stuff back on my phone.

To explain, this is because Titanium Backup does not actually back up system apps themselves, only their data. It does back up user apps and data. Since it doesn't back up system apps (the ones colored red or green in Titanium), they cannot be restored later.

In the future you will be better off using Titanium Backup's freeze feature to freeze the system apps that you do not want, so you can thaw them later if you need them back.

Upvote 0
To explain, this is because Titanium Backup does not actually back up system apps themselves, only their data. It does back up user apps and data. Since it doesn't back up system apps (the ones colored red or green in Titanium), they cannot be restored later.

In the future you will be better off using Titanium Backup's freeze feature to freeze the system apps that you do not want, so you can thaw them later if you need them back.

That was super unhelpful, lol.

Redsox, does flashing a stock rom, then unrooting, and going 100% stock, affect my warranty?

Upvote 0
That was super unhelpful, lol.

Redsox, does flashing a stock rom, then unrooting, and going 100% stock, affect my warranty?

The initial root technically voids your warranty. Not saying it can't be undone to a point where no rep would be able to tell, but you've already voided it. :p If you want to return the phone, use an SBF/FXZ to flash the 5.6.890 update then it'll appear to not have been tampered with.

Upvote 0
The initial root technically voids your warranty. Not saying it can't be undone to a point where no rep would be able to tell, but you've already voided it. :p If you want to return the phone, use an SBF/FXZ to flash the 5.6.890 update then it'll appear to not have been tampered with.

The only thing I'd really be worried about it selling it someone, and having them think it was never tampered with, and not having any problems with Verizon about it. I have my eye on a D4 once it gets cheaper, so selling it would be in the near future.

Upvote 0
If you run an SBF/FXZ before you sell it, the only issues (barring a bad flash) would be hardware related, not software. If you've done the radio hack, this can't be undone easily (there is one theory/method) but could be detected by Motorola if they see all 4 signatures are the same, but even VZW can't read the radio signatures because RadioComm is Moto proprietary.

Upvote 0
Technichally we are not supposed to help you learn ways to sell it or return it out of warranty...

But I sorta just feel like saying that if one were to sbf the phone... nobody would ever know he/she rooted it! Unless that person did the radio hack...

Of course that's unrealated to your question...;)

Upvote 0
Technichally we are not supposed to help you learn ways to sell it or return it out of warranty...

But I sorta just feel like saying that if one were to sbf the phone... nobody would ever know he/she rooted it! Unless that person did the radio hack...

Of course that's unrealated to your question...;)

I thought they changed the policy on TOS infringements? I'll say this much...I've sent back 3 SBF'd phones, all radio hacked, and never hit a roadblock. Although, some people who get them as refurbs may get free tethering... :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones