• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Real Navigation" Program (Please don't move)

I see. I barely use the Wiki xD. I guess even though it appeared to be reported, it may not have gone through. However, the wiki is a few versions behind (Currently 3.7.3) so who knows.

It depends on how often you drive it. If it's your daily commute, it may learn the best way in a week or so. Additionally, you can add Home/Work locations in the settings to help it along. After a while it will learn your departure time and ask if you're going to work/home.

Upvote 0
I see. I barely use the Wiki xD. I guess even though it appeared to be reported, it may not have gone through. However, the wiki is a few versions behind (Currently 3.7.3) so who knows.

It depends on how often you drive it. If it's your daily commute, it may learn the best way in a week or so. Additionally, you can add Home/Work locations in the settings to help it along. After a while it will learn your departure time and ask if you're going to work/home.

True enough about the version. I'll have to play some with the lane info.

Waze has already begun asking those questions for me. ;)

I've had several occasions this week when the routing server timed out. Have you had any service issues?

Upvote 0
Yeah the timeouts happen. Lately Waze has been growing in publicity, gaining acclaim from tv news stations and becoming the go to traffic report assistant. I think that fame is catching up with them. They are good at keeping tabs on confirmed issues on their site and socially though. During rush hours I chalk it up to the rest of the 9-5 workforce.

Upvote 0
It's really expensive, but Tom Tom offers an android application with traffic which has to be purchased in app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.uscanada&hl=en

I don't consider $40 all that bad. I liked my TomTom device in the past (unlike the Magellan which was so bad at routing that I returned it). My main complaint about TomTom was that 80% of the time when there was an exit only lane on the freeway it told you not to take it. That meant that if you were 30 miles from your exit it would tell you you were 3 miles from something, then 5 miles from something, then 2 miles from something. You had to pay more attention that way. Hopefully they've figured out in 3+ years that isn't useful.

Upvote 0
As mentioned elsewhere, the constant reminder of the Verizon OS update finally effectively forced me to update. That meant I'm stuck with Google Maps 7, so I bought the TomTom app.

$29 on sale with a 15 minute refund period, but before you can use the program there's a 20 minute map download! And beyond that, it has the same stupid system for entering an address that the TomTom GPS devices have, where you have to enter the state, then the city, then the complete street name, then the house number. I'd forgotten how much I hated TomTom.

That input system might be acceptable if it worked with Chrome to Phone, but it doesn't. Also, I wasn't able to verify that traffic worked, because their live services weren't working at the time.

Anyway, I'd spend time trying to get a refund, but it might come in handy next year when we go to Yellowstone. I suspect I'll be in some areas with no data services at times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones