• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY] PhilZ Touch 6.19.2 [NEED TESTERS]

cooldudezach

Android Enthusiast
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk
smile.gif

At long last, I am proud to give you guys what I've been keeping secret from everybody! There were a few bugs that took some hammering to get out, but this should be as bug free as you can get. :D

If you aren't sure what PhilZ recovery is, then you are in for a treat! It is based on CWM, with many additions to the source by Phil3759.

Some features:
- full touch + custom gui interface
- ability to set the time (so no more backups from the 70's)
- create a custom_rom.zip (which pulls from /boot and /system)
- you can toggle between /sdcard and /sdcard/0 (helpful when we get roms past 4.2)
- Plenty more

Stuff I fixed:
- access to both the internal and external sdcard
- USB Mass Storage access to the external sdcard
- selecting sdcards now say "internal sdcard" and "external sdcard" rather than "/sdcard" and "/storage/sdcard1"

PhilZ main thread, full feature list, install instructions
[
01.03.2014]CWM 6.0.4.7 Advanced Edition / PhilZ Touch 6.19.2 (libtouch_gui 1.01) - xda-developers

Download links (make sure to download the latest)
Dev-Host - philztouch6.19.2-stormer.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

How to install
Make sure you have fastboot + adb drivers already installed!
If you do not have CWM installed, follow these commands:
- Extract the recovery.img from the .zip you downloaded (keep the .zip in the same place)
- Open a command prompt where you extracted the file
- Enter these commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
(wait for the device to reboot. the screen will be black and the red light will be on)

sudo fastboot boot recovery.img
You will now be in a temporary recovery boot. Follow the install instructions for pre-installed CWM.

If you have CWM installed:
Install via sideload
- Select "Install Zip"
- Select "Install zip from sideload"
- From your computer, open a command prompt where the .zip you downloaded is located
- Execute the command: (replacing {filename} with the correct filename)
Code:
adb sideload {filename}
Install via sdcard
- Place the recovery.zip you downloaded onto your sdcard (internal or external)
- Select "Install Zip"
- Select "Install from {sdcard}" (either /sdcard for internal or /storage/sdcard1 for external)
- Navigate to where the zip is located and select it
- Select "Yes"

Congratulations! You have now installed PhilZ 6 Touch Recovery!

Thanks to
- Phil3759 for the awesome recovery!
- junkie2100 for his help understanding cwm, plus his work already done on cwm for the warp4g
- rbheromax for helping me with code stuffs
- Spz0 + krsmqn for being my guinea pigs :)

Siiiiick, sounds like an amazing recovery cdz! Already released and feature rich. Hope i can get the device in time to help test this. Thank you

how do i make it stick when i reboot it goes back to stock recovery
Er, try flashing it using nandroid manager. I've had reports that works to install it. I need to get flashable zips up, but until then it has to be flashed manually. You can use dd if you know how to as well.

Also, oops! I uploaded the file as 6.18.7 instead of 6.17.8. Fixed!

Thanks so much for everything your doing for this phone I want u to know its appreciated I had soft bricked my phone and I was able to fix it thanks to your recovery I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes our way for this amazing phone thanks again bro

Did u ever get the apks? Took these with titanium backup, youtube and gplay apk.gz hope it helps!

stockapk.gz

We still need an unmodified system image. If you have made a backup of factory stock, please upload the system.ext4.tar.a file. Thanks.

Im on it, just installed cwm, uploading file now. And I am rooted with cwm and no other modifications.

Edit: btw backup to internal completed perfectly, but the backup to ext had problems, during ext backup screen went black and became unresponsive but reappeared after the backup had completed. The backup to ext does not show in the directory, i have a previously made cwm folder on ext with several dif backups.

Im on it, just installed cwm, uploading file now. And I am rooted with cwm and no other modifications.

Edit: btw backup to internal completed perfectly, but the backup to ext had problems, during ext backup screen went black and became unresponsive but reappeared after the backup had completed. The backup to ext does not show in the directory, i have a previously made cwm folder on ext with several dif backups.

There is a screen timeout implemented in the recovery. The backup process usually kicks this in for some reason. Are you sure that the backup to ext isnt there, just in a different folder?

There is a screen timeout implemented in the recovery. The backup process usually kicks this in for some reason. Are you sure that the backup to ext isnt there, just in a different folder?

Ah ok, and yes i found it. Kinda wierd though. I can see all the backups while in recovery, but cnt find internals with a browser. So i could be wrong but i think its backing up internal to the space allocated for applications (phone storage), judging on its size. internal=phone storage, external=internal sd and storage/sdcard1=external sd in the recovery.

Ah ok, and yes i found it. Kinda wierd though. I can see all the backups while in recovery, but cnt find internals with a browser. So i could be wrong but i think its backing up internal to the space allocated for applications (phone storage), judging on its size. internal=phone storage, external=internal sd and storage/sdcard1=external sd in the recovery.
Okay yes, so sorry about that. I skewed the fstab up. oops. You are correct. What is marked as internal should not be there lol. I'll have new builds out this weekend, but for now just remember that you don't want to backup to internal for now, that external is really the internal sdcard, and /storage/sdcard1 is the external sdcard.

Awesome. Seriously the coolest cwm iv ever seen. Thankyou for bringing it to this device. Ill test sideloading, zip flashing etc as soon as i wake up :)

Has anyone else tried to flash aroma zips and the touch is all messed up it keeps jumping to different options and won't let me choose what I need

Has anyone else tried to flash aroma zips and the touch is all messed up it keeps jumping to different options and won't let me choose what I need

Ya iv flashed from int and ext, not encountering any problems. Iv got it set up so i dbl tap the recovery log and it auto launches aromafm. Clockworkmod/aromafm/aromafm.zip

Ya iv flashed from int and ext, not encountering any problems. Iv got it set up so i dbl tap the recovery log and it auto launches aromafm. Clockworkmod/aromafm/aromafm.zip

The aroma fm.zip is fine but if I try to flash any mods that use aroma is where I. Having trouble like the beats audio aroma and a few others maybe its something to do with those idk

I found a better faster way that you can even do it without a pc really. So first you are going to want to download the recovery. Once you have it downloaded you are going to extract the file to the root of your sd card or your phone (I think I had it on both just incase it didn't work on one) then after you have it on your phone you are going to take off your computer and open up play store and search for an app called FLASHIFY and install it on your phone. When you open flashify its going to ask you to grant permission grant it. Then agree with disclaimer. Okay once in the main app you will see boot image and recovery image and zip file. You are going to click on recovery image a pop up will ask choose a file download twrp download cwm cancel you are going to click on choose file. Scroll down til you see sdcard click on that. Now when you scroll down you should see the recovery img you copied in there you will know its the image because right next to it there will be a circle with the lighting on it. you are going to click on that. Its going to ask you if you want to flash that file you are going to select YUP! and once it done it will ask you if you want to reboot or continue select reboot now it will reboot into your new recovery. That's it I tested it on 3 phones and a couple of people on my forum on xda has done this and its proven to work. Thanks

I found a better faster way that you can even do it without a pc really. So first you are going to want to download the recovery. Once you have it downloaded you are going to extract the file to the root of your sd card or your phone (I think I had it on both just incase it didn't work on one) then after you have it on your phone you are going to take off your computer and open up play store and search for an app called FLASHIFY and install it on your phone. When you open flashify its going to ask you to grant permission grant it. Then agree with disclaimer. Okay once in the main app you will see boot image and recovery image and zip file. You are going to click on recovery image a pop up will ask choose a file download twrp download cwm cancel you are going to click on choose file. Scroll down til you see sdcard click on that. Now when you scroll down you should see the recovery img you copied in there you will know its the image because right next to it there will be a circle with the lighting on it. you are going to click on that. Its going to ask you if you want to flash that file you are going to select YUP! and once it done it will ask you if you want to reboot or continue select reboot now it will reboot into your new recovery. That's it I tested it on 3 phones and a couple of people on my forum on xda has done this and its proven to work. Thanks

I have confirmed this method does work and works beautifully.

I found a better faster way that you can even do it without a pc really.

Code:
- Download the recovery zip
- Extract the file to the root of your sd card or your phone (I think I had it on both just in case it didn't work on one)
- Install FLASHIFY from the Play store
- Open flashify, grant superuser permission, and agree with the disclaimer
- Click on recovery image
- A pop up will open, click on choose file
- Scroll down until you see sdcard, click on that
- Scroll down until you see the recovery img you copied, click on that
- Its going to ask you if you want to flash that file you are going to select YUP!
- A popup will open when it's complete, click reboot
- It will reboot into your new recovery.
That's it I tested it on 3 phones and a couple of people on my forum on xda has done this and its proven to work. Thanks
Whoa there, wall of text. Thank you for the info, but next time please please please format it. I formatted the quote so that it's easier for people to read.

Now for my personal opinion ;)
While this may be easier for the first installation, I believe that it is easier to install newer versions in the custom recovery after it has been installed once. No need to unzip the file, just place it on your sdcard, boot to recovery, install. Also no need for extra junk apk's clogging up precious memory :)
Edit: Also, with flashify, you have to have root. The methods in my OP do not require you to ever be rooted.

Whoa there, wall of text. Thank you for the info, but next time please please please format it. I formatted the quote so that it's easier for people to read.

Now for my personal opinion ;)
While this may be easier for the first installation, I believe that it is easier to install newer versions in the custom recovery after it has been installed once. No need to unzip the file, just place it on your sdcard, boot to recovery, install. Also no need for extra junk apk's clogging up precious memory :)
Edit: Also, with flashify, you have to have root. The methods in my OP do not require you to ever be rooted.

Thanks I got carried away with myself there. Yes from now on I will definitely format my post. With this being said thanks again for reposting it in a way people would understand. And as of the last comment that's is true however many don't know how to run command prompts onto there phone or are scared into doing it so yes it requires root method but if you don't know how to run command lines or scripts what good is it. So others use applications that were confirmed to root there phones for example framaroot, kingo, z4root, root transmission etc. Then with there phone now being rooted they can use another app to flash there recoveries. I noticed no one here posted which app specifically does that with a 100% positive feedback so I did with the name and location of the specific app. Im not trying to ruin your post just trying to help. And as of space used the app is like 2mb and could be delete after you flash your recovery.

Thanks I got carried away with myself there. Yes from now on I will definitely format my post. With this being said thanks again for reposting it in a way people would understand. And as of the last comment that's is true however many don't know how to run command prompts onto there phone or are scared into doing it so yes it requires root method but if you don't know how to run command lines or scripts what good is it. So others use applications that were confirmed to root there phones for example framaroot, kingo, z4root, root transmission etc. Then with there phone now being rooted they can use another app to flash there recoveries. I noticed no one here posted which app specifically does that with a 100% positive feedback so I did with the name and location of the specific app. Im not trying to ruin your post just trying to help. And as of space used the app is like 2mb and could be delete after you flash your recovery.

This is the problem with people who root their phone without understanding the implications. If they're afraid to run command line commands, then they should not root their phone. The instructions are there in the first place so people know how to do it, so there is no reason to not know how to do it. If people followed the instructions properly, then there are no problems, right? Problems therefore only arise when instructions are not followed. Those who cannot follow instructions, should not be doing this until they learn to do so.

^ My pet peeve.

This is the problem with people who root their phone without understanding the implications. If they're afraid to run command line commands, then they should not root their phone. The instructions are there in the first place so people know how to do it, so there is no reason to not know how to do it. If people followed the instructions properly, then there are no problems, right? Problems therefore only arise when instructions are not followed. Those who cannot follow instructions, should not be doing this until they learn to do so.

^ My pet peeve.

Amen brother my sentiments exactly

Back
Top Bottom