• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Red Notification Light

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
There were stories long ago that said the Nexus 4 had a red notification light. I was wondering if anyone has seen it yet? I've only seen green, white, and blue.

Isn't there also an app(s) where you can change/assign colors to different notifications?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I used whatever it is on my Droid X. (So yeah, 2 phones ago.)

Being able to look at the off screen and tell what the notify was was righteous.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My light turns red when it is under 20%. There is also one of my apps the uses are red notification light. Have not yet figured out which one yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEIOMPZUMmg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Check this out, we haven't even begun to learn all of the Nexus 4's colors

The apps are lightflow or light manager. Both do all sorts of swanky colours, Purple, pink, cyan, yellow, orange. There are loads.

I used lightflow and had about 6 different colours for various different types of notification.

I use the BBC News App and when it alerts for a breaking news story the light flashes Red, presumably because the main colour of the App is red, I get blue for Facebook alerts and green for whats app, some apps you can change the colour.

Call me blind but I've never seen a light of any colour on my Nexus 4, and I'm on my second one now so it can't be just a faulty phone. While I was waiting for the replacement from Google I resurrected my Motorola Milestone with its nice bright blue Gmail notification LED which instantly reminded me that I missed it when I first got my N4.

Where should I be looking for it? If it's that hard to find I doubt I'll find it as useful as the one on the old Motorola.

It's in the middle of the bottom bezel.

On the many ROMs I was on, there was generally always an option in Display to "pulse notification light", not sure where the option is if you're stock.

Got it, thanks. My problem appears to be one of timing - the light "pulses" are very brief with long periods in between, so you need to be either lucky or stare at it for several seconds to determine if it's actually on. I've never been lucky at anything and don't tend to stare at the blank screen of my phone, so I've never noticed it was there.

The old Motorola Milestone has a tiny but quite bright LED that stays on; it doesn't significantly effect battery life and is instantly visible, a much better design than the N4 IMO.

I know what you mean, I think they must limit the flashing to save battery (although how much of a drain can a tiny LED like that actually be?)

If you're looking for a more "milestone" like effect, check out lightflow, or light manager. The free version of light flow does pretty much all the major apps. Light Manager will as well, but you need root to access some functions.

Lightflow does the trick. It baffles me why Google didn't offer a built in way to adjust the flash duration - which is all I want to do - instead of forcing me to install an app that has all sorts of other stuff I don't need or want.

I think I'm still in "grumpy old man" mode with Google since the disastrous (for me) 4.4 OTA that broke my phone, even though the replacement process was very slick and painless.

Back
Top Bottom