• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Red triangle with an exclamation mark inside

Sam SiSpe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2015
Hi, I have an unrooted HTC One M8 device running an Android 4.4.4 version. The system update (Android 5.0 Lollipop) should have been received last week. I didn't receive it, so I downloaded the update in order to install it manually. When I try to enter the Recovery mode to install the update I get a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside instead of the Android logo. So I have to press the volume up key with the power key simultaneously until the phone restarts itself. Is there a solution for this problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay, I've been in and out all day.

OK, so my first guess is that it glitched on the update or you got a corrupted download.

Let me see if I can't find an RUU to fix this.

If you hold volume down and power buttons while powering up, what happens?

When I do so, the Bootloader Mode loads. The triangle with an exclamation mark inside appears when I select the Recovery option from the Bootloader list.

Upvote 0
As I mentioned, I'm out and away from my desk - this reply is in reverse order because of what I was thinking at each edit. Sorry about the confusion, just read the whole thing before acting.

When I do so, the Bootloader Mode loads. The triangle with an exclamation mark inside appears when I select the Recovery option from the Bootloader list.
OK fantastic - your bootloader is fine, and that means that the FASTBOOT utility is fine, so you can apply the full RUU if I can find it when I'm back at my desk.

Meanwhile - the utility I'm looking for is going to erase your data and I'm sorry about that but it is what it is.

So it's safe for you to try the factory reset from the bootloader - that's the only factory reset that will try and rebuild the partition tables.

I don't know if that will help but aside from your data, it won't hurt.

If it says FASTBOOT at the top, you get to the reset option from HBOOT - same place that had RECOVERY.

You can also get to FASTBOOT from HBOOT and here's something else to try -

Remove sd card and sim.

Plug into pc so it says FASTBOOT USB at top of phone.

Get the Mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Get the sdk-tools.zip unzipped with Windows Explorer and then shift+right_click on the sdk-tools folder - choose Open command window here.

In command window say -

fastboot erase cache

fastboot reboot

I don't think that will help but every once in a while it solves the problem so it's worth trying - and unlike the other things discussed, won't erase your data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones