• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

refurbished phone ATT Galaxy S2 i777

What version of Gingerbread is ATT sending out these days with refurbished Samsung Galaxy S2 i777's? 2.3.4 or 2.3.6 ?

If 2.3.4 will one touch root it without loss of functions?

if it is 2.3.6, what should I use to root it, or should I avoid the wifi issue and battery power issues and go back to 2.3.4 and then root it?

Thanks in advance, from a Newbie.

Mine came with 2.3.4 but had the 2.3.6 update waiting. I didn't notice any drain running it but alot of people have.

[GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

I used this thread to root to keep from setting off the flash counter. steps 2c and 3a worked for me and very easy. read the whole op so you understand. Good luck.

think I needs some handholding with doomlords attitude... I'm not that savvy with how vague his directions are. No idea when to connect the cable, etc,unless I have to go further in the instructions. I got no computer savvy, so everything has to be laid out step by step so a caveman can do it.

Step 2c, the file for it, has been corrupted, has an FBI logo on it.

I got mine used from someone who bought it brand new and it had 2.3.4 on it and I did the OTA upgrade to 2.3.6 not knowing about the WiFI issue it had till I read more about it.

I used the Odin method for rooting mainly cause I had no idea about the binary counter. I'm probably going to buy a jig from eBay to reset my counter anyways. If you do still plan on rooting I highly suggest siyah kernel and DoomZday rom. I'm at over 17hr of on battery with 40% battery left and I'm a heavy user.

I got mine used from someone who bought it brand new and it had 2.3.4 on it and I did the OTA upgrade to 2.3.6 not knowing about the WiFI issue it had till I read more about it.

I used the Odin method for rooting mainly cause I had no idea about the binary counter. I'm probably going to buy a jig from eBay to reset my counter anyways. If you do still plan on rooting I highly suggest siyah kernel and DoomZday rom. I'm at over 17hr of on battery with 40% battery left and I'm a heavy user.

Good to know, how much WiFi are you using, time wise? I am running 2.3.4 rooted, with Titanium backup.

What is your screen on time? Just curious.

im getting a refurbished s2 i777. any tips/advice for me so i dont make any mistakes? i want to root for tether and do ics rom and whatever i need to get best battery life.

thanks

im getting a refurbished s2 i777. any tips/advice for me so i dont make any mistakes? i want to root for tether and do ics rom and whatever i need to get best battery life.

thanks

I'm rooted, and AT&T has done a good job of preventing you from tethering without a fee. Tried to get some freeware apk to root, Barnacle, and even though I got the downloads, I can't get them to open.

You might be OK tethering to a samsung 9.1 or 10.1 tablet, but if you tether to a laptop PC, you can plan on getting a nastygram from AT&T asking you to pay for the upgrade, as others have found out. Something perhaps about the browser on a laptop gives you away?

I'm rooted, and AT&T has done a good job of preventing you from tethering without a fee. Tried to get some freeware apk to root, Barnacle, and even though I got the downloads, I can't get them to open.

You might be OK tethering to a samsung 9.1 or 10.1 tablet, but if you tether to a laptop PC, you can plan on getting a nastygram from AT&T asking you to pay for the upgrade, as others have found out. Something perhaps about the browser on a laptop gives you away?

i want to tether to my ipad 2.
Is there any way around AT&T's eye in the sky?

There are a few ROMs out that will allow you to tether using the software that is already built into the phone. I would suggest going over to the xda forum and reading about some

I rooted using step 2C at [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

2c.) How to root by flashing Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package with Modem using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows)

Do I still need to remove the build in tether apk monitor if I root using method?

I installed TASK365 ISC'D out v9 custom ROM too. and installed his tether apk.

Never did any step require removing the built in AT&T tether monitoring. Did the developers already remove it for me?

What version of Gingerbread is ATT sending out these days with refurbished Samsung Galaxy S2 i777's? 2.3.4 or 2.3.6 ?

If 2.3.4 will one touch root it without loss of functions?

if it is 2.3.6, what should I use to root it, or should I avoid the wifi issue and battery power issues and go back to 2.3.4 and then root it?

Thanks in advance, from a Newbie.

I got a refurbished one in march 2012 and it came with 2.3.4. Yes I tried one click and it works. Make sure you partition your sd card so that you can boot into clockworks. 2.3.6 has had a lot of troubles with one touch.

Back
Top Bottom