• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove SD Card Partition

OFI

Android Enthusiast
I partitioned my SD card with ROM Manager in order to use App2SD. However the SD needs to be returned to the supplier.

Is there a way to remove the EXT2/3 partition on the phone? I don't have a card reader so can't use anything like GParted from my PC.

As far as I can tell, its going to have to be done on a computer. Your phone is a card reader

The phone will only mount the FAT32 partition to a computer though unless there is a way to manage it through adb which I am not at all familiar with :-/

If you have Clockworkmod recovery, you can "Mount USB Storage".

If you look in disk management (right click my comp>manage>Disk management) it shows both partitions, so if you could use gparted, partition magic or paragon etc, you should be able to delete the partition.

In Win 7 I have the option to delete volume which in theroy should allow me to expand the primary partition, however - I dont want to test it.

Reactions: OFI
Can I ask why you would need to, I wouldn't have thought you have done anything that goes against the warrant of the card itself, unless it is preformatted with strict instructions telling that it will be void if you re-partition it?

I assume it's just the card you are returning as you have implied and not the phone?

Can I ask why you would need to, I wouldn't have thought you have done anything that goes against the warrant of the card itself, unless it is preformatted with strict instructions telling that it will be void if you re-partition it?

I assume it's just the card you are returning as you have implied and not the phone?

Ahem.. because as far as the supplier needs to know I haven't opened it...

If you have Clockworkmod recovery, you can "Mount USB Storage".

If you look in disk management (right click my comp>manage>Disk management) it shows both partitions, so if you could use gparted, partition magic or paragon etc, you should be able to delete the partition.

In Win 7 I have the option to delete volume which in theroy should allow me to expand the primary partition, however - I dont want to test it.

I need further explanation, you can delete from the manager of the win7? or by using another program?

The best bet is to use Gparted. You can flatten the card there. Its also now how I recommend partitions are created.

Link in my apps2sd+ FAQ

The best way is to format your SD card using your phone. Settings>SD card and phone storage>Unmount SD card. Once the SD card is unmounted, select Format SD Card. This will format and merge all partitions into a single FAT32 partition

The best way is to format your SD card using your phone. Settings>SD card and phone storage>Unmount SD card. Once the SD card is unmounted, select Format SD Card. This will format and merge all partitions into a single FAT32 partition

I know a member here (JohnnyBravo) had somehow managed to delete his ext partition this way by accident.

Whether its by design or fault though, I would not trust anything other than a dedicated partition manager to do this successfully.

I burnt an img. file to my sd card.(Raspberrian wheezy).after lots of trying to get the card back to 4Gig I just stuck it in a digital camera and clicked format.totally clean card in FAT but now you can reformat to NTFS with Windows maybe.all hidden partitions gone easy.pass on please

Back
Top Bottom