• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing Factory/stock Apps

John I

Suppose I like another email app better than the one that is built in. How can I make it so the email icon on my home screen goes to that app instead of the factory email app? Or maybe there is a way to delete the factory icon and insert a new one in that area?

The apps on your home screens are just shortcuts! So if you tap-hold on the "desktop" or dock, you'll see the trashcan icon and you can drag it to delete it (don't hold over the trash for too long or you'll get prompted to uninstall the app). Then click the grid icon that opens up the app grid - from there, find the app you can, tap-hold, and it will appear on your desktop where you can just drop it (or into the dock at the bottom). So for example, if you're using K9 mail, you'll see that icon, and clicking it will open that app.

It's kind of like right-click-drag in Winders

The apps on your home screens are just shortcuts! So if you tap-hold on the "desktop" or dock, you'll see the trashcan icon and you can drag it to delete it (don't hold over the trash for too long or you'll get prompted to uninstall the app). Then click the grid icon that opens up the app grid - from there, find the app you can, tap-hold, and it will appear on your desktop where you can just drop it (or into the dock at the bottom). So for example, if you're using K9 mail, you'll see that icon, and clicking it will open that app.

It's kind of like right-click-drag in Winders

It should be noted that if you want to change one of the 4 icons on your launcher bar (the one on the bottom in touchwiz, the default interface for Captivate), you have to open up the application list (with the black background) and then hit your menu button (button left button on the phone) and then select edit, then you can drag and drop any of the 3 launcher icons off of the launcher bar and drag something else there instead.

Note, you cannot move/replace the little blue window icon, the one that swaps between the home screens and the app list.

This doesn't work with TW Launcher (which I think is what the question was about). However, using a different launcher, like Launcherpro, will let you do a lot more customization.

I think the 2nd poster was referring to changing icons on the home screens themselves (which that will work for), not the launcher bar at the very bottom of the home screens, which is a different process.

So just to clarify, if you want to customize the TouchWiz dock:

1. Open the app drawer.
2. Select Menu.
3. If you don't see the "Edit" option, select View Type, and then select Customizable Grid.
4. Select Menu, and then select "Edit."
5. Drag the apps you want to the dock.

Good grief. This was buried pretty deep. I usually keep my apps in alphabetical order, so I never even noticed the option.

Reactions: NJR
Back
Top Bottom