• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rescue Me - Please Help!

MsJRandy2

Lurker
Moto Droid X2 2.3.5 (from stock update). Tried to root, and I think it worked as I have superuser.

I also downloaded ROM manager, Titanium Backup and RootApp Delete.

I to install Cyanogen Mod from ROM Manager and regular recovery. ROM manager would not boot into recovery. Regular recovery will not install the custom ROM due to incomplete signature or something. Fearing I had totally done something wrong I googled again ... read that ROM manager can brick an X2 so I deleted.

Then I began to panic. I tried to download, run several other suggestions and now I am totally confused. My phone works, so I don't think it is bricked (Which I assume means it won't work). I am in over my head and I don't understand what I am doing, nor do I know the lingo. I think I have done too many things from too many different suggestions.

So, can someone please rescue me ....

(1) how do I know what I a really running?
(2) how do I know if I am truly rooted?
(3) how do I know what custom ROM to flash
(4) how do I know if I am even asking the right questions?
(5) will any of this will work?

Moto Droid X2 2.3.5 (from stock update). Tried to root, and I think it worked as I have superuser.

I also downloaded ROM manager, Titanium Backup and RootApp Delete.

I to install Cyanogen Mod from ROM Manager and regular recovery. ROM manager would not boot into recovery. Regular recovery will not install the custom ROM due to incomplete signature or something. Fearing I had totally done something wrong I googled again ... read that ROM manager can brick an X2 so I deleted.

Then I began to panic. I tried to download, run several other suggestions and now I am totally confused. My phone works, so I don't think it is bricked (Which I assume means it won't work). I am in over my head and I don't understand what I am doing, nor do I know the lingo. I think I have done too many things from too many different suggestions.

So, can someone please rescue me ....

(1) how do I know what I a really running?
(2) how do I know if I am truly rooted?
(3) how do I know what custom ROM to flash
(4) how do I know if I am even asking the right questions?
(5) will any of this will work?

Hello MsJRandy2. Do you have a terminal app? If not, grab one of the free ones from Play Store. Invoke the app, it'll likely then ask for root permission.. if not, look at the terminal screen for a # sign. If it is there, your device is rooted. If a $ is there instead, type su. If it asks for root permission, click or type yes. If you then see the # sign, you're rooted, if "denied" appears, you're not rooted.

Let's get this done before proceeding further about ROMs, etc. ;)

Hello MsJRandy2. Do you have a terminal app? If not, grab one of the free ones from Play Store. Invoke the app, it'll likely then ask for root permission.. if not, look at the terminal screen for a # sign. If it is there, your device is rooted. If a $ is there instead, type su. If it asks for root permission, click or type yes. If you then see the # sign, you're rooted, if "denied" appears, you're not rooted.

Let's get this done before proceeding further about ROMs, etc. ;)
Thanks so much for your quick response. I am not sure if I have a terminal app. I will be glad to get one, but bear in mind I am feeling so ignorant right now. Do I just enter terminal app in the search at the Play Store? I see "Terminal IDE" by Spatacus Rex. Is that what you mean?

I went ahead and chose Terminal IDE. When it opened, I selected Terminal IDE (not install system). It appears as a DOS type screen with a $ symbol. I typed su and granted SuperUser permissions. Now it shows: $su# .... is that correct? In the notification bar, it says Terminal IDE is running. Should this be happening? Do I need to exit or leave it running? If so, how do I do this? I am so sorry to be so ignorant and impatient, I am just so confused and have a small window of time (a few more hours today) to get this done. I also know that you are going above and beyond to help a stranger, so I truly appreciate your time.

Back