• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Resisting developer mode

Rgarner

Android Expert
I have followed the instructions to get the crimebook to go there. At first I thought it would, but it doesn't. It just goes back to the first part. I don't know what the password is, and I don't need one because it's my own private computer (whoopee). Is there some way to do an end run around all that and just get Linux on the thing once and for all?

I have followed the instructions to get the crimebook to go there. At first I thought it would, but it doesn't. It just goes back to the first part. I don't know what the password is, and I don't need one because it's my own private computer (whoopee). Is there some way to do an end run around all that and just get Linux on the thing once and for all?
in order to get linux, you need developers mode. do you know what make and model chromebook you have?

It's a crime, all right. Can you imagine foisting this garbage on innocent students? I wouldn't blame them for fighting back with developer mode. Meanwhile, it's a Samsung, but I've been informed on AF that brand doesn't really matter. I lack most of those luxuries, but I do have a 32 gb flash drive purchased for the occasion.

I just bought a used Dell Vostro for $100 locally via a friend who wanted to get rid of it. Seems far more useful than your constant fight with this ChinesiumBook with a limited OS that will perform quite badly in Linux based on my own previous experience with an Acer of similar vintage.

But hey, if you want to use a laptop that has limited features, and will no doubt perform like an i486SX running Linux, by all means, power to you. I would rather just send it to an EcoATM or a used electronics store and walk out with cash (or a better laptop)

The only reason I'd spend countless hours and days trying to get into a laptop would be if it was the only machine that had vital, important data on it that cannot be replaced, such as my lifetime of photos with Daisy Deer from 2010.

Suppose I just copied stuff to it from a phone and from there to the 2 tb hard drive. Would that work? I guess I'd still have to put up with its crap to use the hard drive, though...

To be honest, I don't exactly know the state of your laptop enough to determine what you need to do to get linux on it. There's a specific method that dates back to 2014 to get linux onto my Acer C720 (a very obsolete chromebook) but I am unsure if it is the same process as yours. I don't think you can boot an installer from USB or SD and get it to work, though as they're not fully x86 compatible otherwise you'd have people putting stuff like Windows or making Hackintoshes out of them because they're cheap.

But I will state one fact. Linux on a Chromebook is an extremely painful thing to use. It's going to feel a lot like an i486 running Windows 98 SE with only 4MB of RAM. I can't think of a comparison that might make sense for you, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at. With my Acer, it meant the fan was running full hilt all the time (reducing battery life and making the machine run extremely hot), and just having more than one tab open in Firefox would either freeze the system up or lag it all to heck, or worse, would kernel panic (the Linux version of a BSoD). I couldn't watch YouTube on it without downgrading the video quality to 240p, and couldn't browse some sites without it freezing or crashing. That was in 2014. It'd be far, far worse today.

I don't recall the exact method to get Linux on it again, (why would I want to?), but it had something to do with a certain key combo to get a "crox" shell, and typing in a bunch of long strings to reboot it into some form of recovery, to get a proper bash terminal, then installing Linux over the internet by typing in more long cryptic terminal commands. You would end up with a basic edition of Ubuntu 14.04 at the time, with a Gnome DE and some apps like Firefox and LibreOffice preinstalled.

Last edited:
I have finally been able to borrow a real laptop. I even got permission to download minimal adb + fastboot, which I have done. However, the pos government phone is not recognized and I still can't do anything with it. It flashes on and off at 0%. I did get it to come on briefly at 3 or 1%, depending on its mood at the time. When it did, it seemed to be ok, showing the regular stuff. I guess I downloaded the drivers properly. What do I do now?

Am I the only one who thinks it's quite scary that there's such a thing as a 'government phone'? I wouldn't trust our government for anything, especially now. I never forgave them for killing analog TV (digital TV is garbage) or analog cellular service (there's still a lot of rural areas that are now without cellular coverage, and while 2G/3G helped a bit, they played their hand in killing that as well.)

Anything involving our government is a huge red flag. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't spyware or some sort of monitoring built-in similar to how North Korea's "linux" distro Red Star OS tracks everything a user does.

The idea of a 'federal mandate' is crazy. It shouldn't even be legal. The whole point of how a bill becomes a law (see schoolhouse rock episode 'I'm just a Bill') was completely invalidated by our own government becoming an elected King and able to pass their own laws in the dead of the night without any votes from the People who are what the government are supposed to represent the views by and for.

Back
Top Bottom