• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restricting Data Downloading while roaming abroad.

bds1958

I'm going on holiday soon and wondered if I can restrict what data I download when I connect to the local telecoms provider.
i.e. I want to be able to use as a "phone only" for voice.

I will enble "roaming" when I want to connect but don't want my e mails, which may be large, and my apps updating, to download as I'll be charged.

Any ideas?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

make sure your data roaming is off on the network settings.

turn off the data traffic. you may choose the using a widget to make it easier to toggle.

or to be perfectly safe, just call your service provider to temporarily deactivate your internet services.

As above: Verify that Data roaming deselected. Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Data roaming.

That should be enough, but you may want to take some extra precautions...

To turn Mobile network off, Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Uncheck Mobile network. You can also drag down the Notifications bar from the top, press Quick Settings and deselect Mobile Network. And you can verify 'Enable always-on mobile data' is off, Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Enable always-on mobile data.

Finally, to make 100% sure nothing leaks out, you can create a null APN. Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN > Enter null in Name and APN fields; leave rest blank > Menu > Save. Then, when abroad, select this 'null' APN. Your phone won't be able to connect to any mobile data service when this is activated as there are no settings for it to use.

If you do all those, you won't have any mobile data charges to worry about until you want to use your data connection.

Most UK network providers do travel bundles for fixed periods of time or usage, which will help you with costs, both calls and data usage.

But, if the place you're staying at has wifi, then consider using that instead of mobile data.

Back
Top Bottom