• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Return of deleted e-mails

Recently updated my original Moto G to Android 5.0.2 and have the following problem. My deleted e-mails keep returning despite constantly emptying the folders. Today June 8th I had 67 e-mails dating back to June 2nd.
Can anyone help on this problem please. Pete

A little more information...

Is this a Gmail account, Yahoo, Hotmail or...???

What email app are you using?

Do you know if you're using POP3 or IMAP?

I'm guessing you are using POP3 service instead of IMAP. What you describe is typical POP3 behavior. If it were IMAP service everything would sync automatically.

And, I'm guessing that in the incoming server settings of your old email app, there was an option set to 'Sync deletions with server' (or something like that). Likely the new email app lacks the option or it's not enabled. Check your server settings.

Best solution is to get rid of POP3 and use IMAP, if possible.

If you set it to sync deletions with the server, then yeah, that's what it's supposed to do - delete mail on the server when it's deleted on the phone.

Trouble is, not all email apps have the option, and it doesn't always work even if the option is there and set. Sometimes an email app and mail server just don't communicate deletion instructions properly.

That's life with POP3...

If you set it to sync deletions with the server, then yeah, that's what it's supposed to do - delete mail on the server when it's deleted on the phone.

Trouble is, not all email apps have the option, and it doesn't always work even if the option is there and set. Sometimes an email app and mail server just don't communicate deletion instructions properly.

That's life with POP3...

Thanks for those three replies. The trouble is that my knowledge of the phone and system is so very limited (I'm 81 yrs Old) . My expert friend who originally set the phone up for me more than a year ago is not handy at the moment. One thing I do know is that before this update there was no problem, in fact I had to ensure that I didn't delete any e-mail on the phone BEFORE reading them on my PC as that certainly did delete them from the server.

I'm with '3' so would a visit to their local shop be able to supply the answers? I will try to find the answers to your questions and come back ASAP.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Cheers. Pete.

When your phone updated, it made changes to the email app that changed or deleted the option to delete mail on the server when deleted on the phone.

To get it to work exactly the same again may require a different email app. You probably don't want to have to get used to a different email app, I bet. But if you're lucky, the option is there in your present email app and just needs to be enabled.

Someone at the shop should have enough knowledge to check it out for you, especially if you show them this conversation as an explanation.

Lotsa luck!

When your phone updated, it made changes to the email app that changed or deleted the option to delete mail on the server when deleted on the phone.

To get it to work exactly the same again may require a different email app. You probably don't want to have to get used to a different email app, I bet. But if you're lucky, the option is there in your present email app and just needs to be enabled.

Someone at the shop should have enough knowledge to check it out for you, especially if you show them this conversation as an explanation.

Lotsa luck!
Thanks, I will follow up. Pete

Back
Top Bottom