• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Riffle effect when press the screen..

I just did this with a Samsung A14 5G running android 13. You have to find an APK for a third-party lockscreen app called Xlocker (Play Store refuses to list it for me) and then another APK called 'Galaxy S3 locker' (both on APKPure.com) and it has the sound, effect and everything. Also there's one that imitates the Galaxy S4 'light effect'. Be sure to enable 'unknown sources' in security settings.

I don't remember the home screen having that option and I got two SIII's lying around (now paperweights thanks to arrogant carriers turning 3G off). The closest I recall was an old live wallpaper that dated back to Android 2.1 Eclair that had leaves on a water lake and responded to touch. The SIII did have a neat weather live wallpaper though that had a field with sky and windmills that changed speed depending on the wind speed, and the sky depicted weather conditions. I think Live Wallpaper got EOL in Android 12 as the picker doesn't seem to exist.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Many people thought the default, Whistle tone for SMS/MMS and the 'droplet' touch sound of early TouchWiz Samsungs were annoying, but I still miss them. Can't get them back on modern devices.

Android. Be Different, not the Same...
If you can find the sound you can surely set it for SMS/MMS. If the app doesn't let you choose the sound then another SMS app will.

No idea about touch sounds as they are literally the first thing I turn off (even before haptics). My current Samsung has "themes" for system sounds, which suggests that they have pre-defined sets rather than allowing you to choose your own, but that may be a Samsung thing rather than Android.

Upvote 0
It's not the SMS app that's not allowing it. I can download the sounds fine, but Samsung's built in tone chooser only lists the built in sounds, doesn't allow a selection of a third party tone for any notification. The old workaround was using ES File Explorer 3.x and then it'd ask which app I'd use to choose a sound, one was 'Media picker' the other was 'ES File Explorer' and if I chose the latter it'd let me set any sound I wanted, and that worked until OneUI version 3.x then they removed that option and it no longer gives me that prompt.

As for touch sound, it only has a toggle for on/off. No ability to use the old droplet sound I'm accustomed to. The 'modern' one is just so boring and bland. I just miss the 'nature' that was once part of Samsung's UI. I've got most of it back visually though, even though Device Care tends to 'block' me from running a good portion of my Gingerbread-era favorites.

Upvote 0
The odd thing there is that my s21's system sound picker does let me choose my own tones. That's why I assumed your problem was the app. That's Android 13, One UI 5.1, April update, and ringtones and notifications in the android standard locations (Ringtones and Notifications folders in internal storage).

Solid Explorer can also act as a sound picker though (wherever you keep tones).

Upvote 0
Nope, mine is an A series with only One UI Core, so that might be part of the problem. I don't get an option other than the few built in ones, and I no longer get the pop-up asking which app to pick a sound like before, and yes, ES File Explorer 3.x is installed.

When I upgrade to a Z Flip next year, maybe that won't be an issue anymore? I'd love to have my Whistle tone back as well as the Over The Horizon ringtone from the SII. I've never used the ringtones folders, I just assumed they were old throwbacks to early Android and no longer used. I often just up and delete those folders to de-clutter the file structure a bit. I always placed the sounds in Downloads with the rest of the files and APKs, and expected it to just ask me which app to choose tone with. Since I no longer get that, all I'm presented with are the built-in sounds Samsung includes. No + option or anything. Not even a way to download some from Galaxy Store.

Upvote 0
Nope, mine is an A series with only One UI Core, so that might be part of the problem. I don't get an option other than the few built in ones, and I no longer get the pop-up asking which app to pick a sound like before, and yes, ES File Explorer 3.x is installed.

When I upgrade to a Z Flip next year, maybe that won't be an issue anymore? I'd love to have my Whistle tone back as well as the Over The Horizon ringtone from the SII. I've never used the ringtones folders, I just assumed they were old throwbacks to early Android and no longer used. I often just up and delete those folders to de-clutter the file structure a bit. I always placed the sounds in Downloads with the rest of the files and APKs, and expected it to just ask me which app to choose tone with. Since I no longer get that, all I'm presented with are the built-in sounds Samsung includes. No + option or anything. Not even a way to download some from Galaxy Store.
I tried a ringtone once, Ozzy Osbourne "Get me through" and my mother was the only one who called me and it went through, that is about it, I have it usually on mute. :)

Upvote 0
Just to be sure, you've not accidentally set it to "always" use the system sound picker?

Though even then it should find sounds that are placed in the standard Ringtones and Notifications folders (and that's an android thing, so would work unless Samsung made a deliberate choice to remove it).

Upvote 0
I never got the option at all. So I had no way to hit 'always' by mistake. It never prompted me. No matter what file browser I install, it just defaults to the Samsung sound picker with its limited selection and no ability to add.

It doesn't matter if you place the sounds in ringtones or otherwise, they never show up. The phone (A14 5G) I've had for only a week, and it only has 10 notification sounds available. All of them are 'spacey' and I want 'naturey' back. I use a Galaxy Watch so thankfully the watch just vibrates and the phone is silent when I'm getting notifications. A workaround at best for now.

Thankfully I was able to "TouchWiz-ify" the UI and found compatible replacement apps. Wish I could turn off the notification from android system that says 'Check Access Settings Nova Launcher has Accessibility permissions on...' but I TOLD it to use that for the double-tap to turn off screen gesture. But that annoying notification comes back every few days if I swipe it away, and Google has greyed out the ability to turn those notifications off or minimize them. I really hate how idiot-proofed modern Android is today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones