• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

HTC is committed to putting people at the center of everything we do, and we wanted to take this opportunity to clarify the current situation with the HTC Dream and HTC Magic at Rogers with you, the customer. While there has been a lot of confusion regarding software updates for these devices - we want to make sure that everyone knows that Rogers has been pushing hard to ensure the best possible outcome for all customers who have purchased an HTC Dream and Magic. Although we previously announced that we did not plan an upgrade to either device, we have reevaluated based on Rogers request and agreed to move forward.

First, we will be implementing an update for the 1.5 OS to both the HTC Dream and HTC Magic in the upcoming weeks. These will offer a number of benefits for these devices, including bringing the HTC Sense experience to the HTC Magic, although the OS version will remain 1.5.

By mid-year, HTC will issue an upgrade to Android 2.1, including the highly acclaimed HTC Sense experience for the HTC Magic.

However, due to certain limitations on the HTC Dream, the software path for the HTC Dream will be terminated after the next Android 1.5 update. While we regret not being able to offer the same updates to both devices, by bringing this upgrade to the HTC Magic, we are delivering the best solution possible given the situation at hand.

We also want to emphasize that the situation with HTC Dream and HTC Magic devices is true across markets, and is not limited to Canada. While

Upvote 0
First, we will be implementing an update for the 1.5 OS to both the HTC Dream and HTC Magic in the upcoming weeks. These will offer a number of benefits for these devices, including bringing the HTC Sense experience to the HTC Magic, although the OS version will remain 1.5.

By mid-year, HTC will issue an upgrade to Android 2.1, including the highly acclaimed HTC Sense experience for the HTC Magic.

Congratulations for finally coming to your collective senses and thank you. If I read this correctly the Magic will be going from 1.5 to 2.1 at some undetermined date. Is this written on your official website anywhere so that it we can use the announcement as a basis for decision making as there are plenty of rumors and half-truths about.

Upvote 0
HTC is committed to putting people at the center of everything we do, and we wanted to take this opportunity to clarify the current situation with the HTC Dream and HTC Magic at Rogers with you, the customer. While there has been a lot of confusion regarding software updates for these devices - we want to make sure that everyone knows that Rogers has been pushing hard to ensure the best possible outcome for all customers who have purchased an HTC Dream and Magic. Although we previously announced that we did not plan an upgrade to either device, we have reevaluated based on Rogers request and agreed to move forward.

However, due to certain limitations on the HTC Dream, the software path for the HTC Dream will be terminated after the next Android 1.5 update. While we regret not being able to offer the same updates to both devices, by bringing this upgrade to the HTC Magic, we are delivering the best solution possible given the situation at hand.

We also want to emphasize that the situation with HTC Dream and HTC Magic devices is true across markets, and is not limited to Canada. While

Upvote 0
I can confirm that I received the same information via email directly from Jessika Goldstein, from HTC's PR company. I'm out visiting the in-laws right now, so I will post more later, including on my blog.

While I am elated to hear Rogers & HTC have done the right thing by Magic users, I am _extremely_ disappointed that the same, or similar, is not being done for Dream owners.

RogersMary said she would be checking in this forum after the announcement, and I think she should go back to Rogers and try to offer a deal for Dream owners to exchange their phones for the HTC Magic, so they can get the update.

Given how Rogers customers were misled by Rogers clerks, this is the least Rogers could do at this point.

So, in summary, thank you to Rogers & HTC for fixing this problem, and realizing how important Canadian Android users are, now, Rogers, let's do something to help the Dream owners!

Upvote 0
New Magic user here, so I'm glad to hear that we will be getting future updates, many thanks for this turnaround.

It is indeed a shame that the dream users won't get similar treatment and Rogers should do something to help make things right with them.

HTC should update this page too:
HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Magic? (Rogers) - System and Upgrade

"Can I upgrade my Rogers Magic device to Android 1.6?
HTC is not currently planning any Android 1.6 upgrades for Rogers Dream or Magic. Android 1.6 was only made available for “Google”-branded devices such as the G1. It is not available for HTC-branded products such as the Dream or Magic, which use Android 1.5. We believe that Android 1.5 is a stable and reliable software platform that delivers a terrific user experience"

I definitely agree with the users that some firm dates to expect the 1.5 update and 2.1 update would be appreciated. I'm sure many of us are of the "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality right now.

Upvote 0
Thank you wlewin for letting us know about this great news. I was almost going to get an iphone! I also like the fact that we will be getting the sense UI. While im in the magic pile that will be getting 2.1, I hope rogers does something for the dream users. Also want to thank everybody on this forum for the hard work that they put into this to get us here, notibly mjschmidt.

Upvote 0
That's fantastic news for Magic owners! To think the salesperson tried to sell me the Dream because of the QWERTY keyboard, but I opted to go with the Magic becasue it was newer. Sorry to the Dream owners, I hope they can fix the problem for you too.
And a HUGE thanks to all the people on this board that pushed hard to make this all possible!

Upvote 0
Hi all,
ive been following this thread for a couple of weeks now...and tho i am as excited as some of you have expressed about a possible 2.1 upgrade...i believe we still need to ask the question; what are we getting with this 1.5 update? and i think the question on all of our minds; will we be able to access the new android market with paid apps? which i think is why most of us got involved in this fight in the first place...

also...it seems to me by throwing a quick 1.5 update at us...and telling us they may have a 2.1 upgrade for us in 6 months...is a good way to shut us up for a while...when we all know that htc could just take the free 1.6 os and customize it to rogers in a week or two and upload it on theirs and rogers site for download...i just dont understand why this is so difficult for them to grasp...its not like we're asking for them to create something from nothing.

anyway its sweet we are getting somewhere...i just dont think we should get too excited until we see what we're actually getting...

keep up up the good fight guys...you just added one more to the cause

oh...and sorry to all you dream owners...tho it does look like rogersmary is trying to help

Upvote 0
Its great that Rogers and HTC are doing something but since I am a Dream owner, I will still be stuck with 1.5 but I guess Sense UI is a plus

Personally I don't think Rogers will be offering anything to us dream owners be it a phone swap or discount for a Magic

I also have an LG Eve and I hope to see updates for that as well

You need to re-read the post by wlewin, only the Magic is getting Sense UI

Upvote 0

and i think the question on all of our minds; will we be able to access the new android market with paid apps? which i think is why most of us got involved in this fight in the first place...

As we said a long time ago (so did @RogersMary and the OotP) the paid apps is regulated by Google and not Rogers or others. We have to nudge Google on this one to get a straight answer on what regulation or problem is delaying the Canadian paid apps market.

http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779

This is very good news i'm very happy to know that my Magic will get updates with SenseUI. I'm also disappointed for all the Dream users who won't be able to get it unless Rogers makes a hardware trade (which is the right thing to do).

I'm hoping this kind of good news keeps coming in the next month or so.

Upvote 0
You need to re-read the post by wlewin, only the Magic is getting Sense UI

I believe the Dream will get the 1.5 update with Sense but no further. Only the Magic will get 2.1 with Sense by mid-year. The Dream updates will stop at 1.5 w/ SenseUi.

wlewin said:
However, due to certain limitations on the HTC Dream, the software path for the HTC Dream will be terminated after the next Android 1.5 update.

Upvote 0
will we be able to access the new android market with paid apps? which i think is why most of us got involved in this fight in the first place...

also...it seems to me by throwing a quick 1.5 update at us...and telling us they may have a 2.1 upgrade for us in 6 months...is a good way to shut us up for a while...when we all know that htc could just take the free 1.6 os and customize it to rogers in a week or two.

@Rye: The paid apps issue is, unfortunately, out of the hands of Rogers & HTC. This is all Google, in this case. While Rogers could be doing more to push Google to make it happen, it is up to Google to turn on the paid app taps, not just in Canada, but in a lot of countries. I have heard rumours that we might get paid apps when the new Android phones start coming to Canada this year, like the Motorola Milestone. Like I said, it's just a rumour. For the record, Bell and Telus don't have access to paid apps on their Android phones either.

As for skipping 1.6 to 2.1, this gets in to the whole issue of whether or not Rogers has/had to pay HTC for the updates (because of customization done to 1.5) and what their contract was (or if there was a contract). _IF_ it is true that Rogers would have to pay for updates, they likely made a financial decision to pay only once to get us 2.1, than to pay twice for 1.6 and then 2.1. To be frank, I would rather wait and be guaranteed to have 2.1 than to get 1.6 now and have to go through the same fight 6 months from now to try to get 2.1.

Personally I might look in to rooting my phone for now, to get 1.6, and then reset it to the Rogers ROM later to get the official 2.1 update. I am not certain, but I believe it is possible to do that.

DREAM OWNERS: I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones is not giving up on you! Though we may be out of luck trying to get updates for you, I think most people here would agree that as a gesture of good RP will on the part of Rogers, Dream owners should be offered the chance to exchange their phones for the HTC Magic, so they can enjoy the same updates.

@RogersMary (if you are reading this): Look at it this way, in other countries the G1 (Dream) came out well before the Magic, so its differences were obvious. By the time the Magic came out, people knew it was a newer (better) phone than the G1. People had time to test out the G1.

In Canada, Rogers debuted the Dream & Magic at the same time, side-by-side. People who didn't know the history of the phones, or the real meaning of the specs under the hood, only saw two cool phones with the SAME operating system, but one had a keyboard and one didn't. If Rogers had done their homework then, and truly understood Android, Customers might have been better informed by employees when making their purchase. At that time, Dream owners had every reason to believe they would get Android 1.6 just like Magic owners believed (and we're told!).

If the truth had been known then, I'm pretty sure the majority of Dream owners would NOT have bought the Dream, but the Magic instead. The way I see it, Rogers OWES Dream owners the chance to exchange their Dream phones for Magic phones, WHICH COST THE SAME!!!

@RogersMary - Part 2:
What about LG Eve owners? Has Rogers spoken to LG above updates for the Eve? Does Rogers understand yet that these are NOT simple "web phones" as you've been marketing them, but mini computers! LG Eve owners need answers too!

Upvote 0
I believe the Dream will get the 1.5 update with Sense but no further. Only the Magic will get 2.1 with Sense by mid-year. The Dream updates will stop at 1.5 w/ SenseUi.

@Silvertag: Here is the line from the post by HTC.

"First, we will be implementing an update for the 1.5 OS to both the HTC Dream and HTC Magic in the upcoming weeks. These will offer a number of benefits for these devices, including bringing the HTC Sense experience to the HTC Magic"

I have bolded and italicized the important part. Only the MAGIC is getting Sense UI.

I apologise for any confusion I may have cause with the post on my blog, which I have corrected (thanks to GBD for pointing it out).

Upvote 0
@Silvertag: Here is the line from the post by HTC.

"First, we will be implementing an update for the 1.5 OS to both the HTC Dream and HTC Magic in the upcoming weeks. These will offer a number of benefits for these devices, including bringing the HTC Sense experience to the HTC Magic"

I have bolded and italicized the important part. Only the MAGIC is getting Sense UI.

I apologise for any confusion I may have cause with the post on my blog, which I have corrected (thanks to GBD for pointing it out).

Ah my bad :I ... The second part talking about the 2.1 update gave me the impression Dream user were getting Sense with 1.5 update. (All do i believe the hardware could support it). One more scratch for Dream users.. i hope Rogers will exchange them for Magic.

Upvote 0
While I'm happy for the Magic users, I'm not pleased by this annoucement.

I own 2 htc dreams and paying $140/month for the next 2.5yrs for unsupported and outdated phones.

If the phones are already outdated, what's going to happen in the next 2.5yrs of ownership?

At this point I only have one option... root the phones.

We need to make it clear to Rogers that the right thing for them to do is let Dream owners exchange their Dreams for Magics. These phones were sold at the same time, and with the same promises by Rogers clerks who clearly did not truly understand Android. if we had known then what we know now (which is the TRUTH about the support for Android by Rogers & HTC) we would not have bought the HTC Dream.

Upvote 0
- Motorola Droid specs show 512MB ROM / 256MB RAM: running Android 2.0
- Nexxus one Specs show 512MB ROM/ 512MB RAM : running Android 2.1
- Magic Specs show 512MB ROM / 288MB RAM: running Android 1.5

So please stop, saying that Android 2.0/2.1 will not fit in the 512MB ROM that the HTC Magic has.

Smaller ROM/RAM are a main contributing factor for the dream not being updated:

Dream 256MB ROM / 192MB RAM: running Android 1.5

LG Eve
LG Eve ROM 4GB/2GB? /150MB RAM:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones