• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][BETA][4.2.2] PAC-ROM for Virgin Mobile and Sprint 5/2/2014

phenomx4

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 28, 2012
North Las Vegas , Nevada
This is a beta release of PAC-ROM for the Optimus Elite so please don't expect this to be 100% stable. You may get random reboots and lockups or you may not. Before flashing this rom I recommend you make a NAND backup just in case.

About: (taken from the PAC-ROM website.)

PAC-MAN ROM OFFERS A UNIQUE CUSTOM ROM EXPERIENCE WITH ELEMENTS OF

Cyanogenmod

A fully integrated part of PAC-man,
this aspect brings all the functionality of CM

AOKP

Bringing in the greatness of the All Powerful Unicorn.
PAC-man grabs rom control, ribbons, and many other aspects of AOKP

ParanoidAndroid

one of the most original aspects brought into this roms is
hybrid mode which gives you full control of your rom experience

What works:

• Audio/speaker phone
  • Headset/headphones
  • Calls and texts
  • Touchscreen
  • Lights/brightness
  • Offline charging
  • External SD
  • Wifi
  • Proximity sensor
  • Overclocking
  • Tethering using an app called "Wifi Tether for Root Users" from the play store with the settings used in F.A.Q below.
  • Mass storage
  • Camera
  • Bluetooth

What's partially working:

• Data (stuck on 1x but get 3g speeds.)
  • NFC ( NFC tags and google wallet are non functional.)
What's not working:

• You tell me
Issues:

• you may have random reboots or lock ups or you may not.
  • Google Wallet doesn't work and opening it causes nfc to not work until you do a reboot. Will fix this soon.
  • There may be some graphic issues on apps such as Google Maps.
  • During booting up the screen will be blank but will turn on when finished.

Installation instructions:

To install this rom you must first have a custom recovery installed onto your phone.
You can learn how to do this here " http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/620742-faq-guide-clockworkmod-optimus-elite.html"

• 1. Download the appropriate rom for your phone and then Gapps. (Gapps is needed if you need to use google services such as Google Play.)
  • 2. You need to copy the downloaded rom and Gapps to your internal memory or your external memory.
  • 3. Boot into recovery.
  • 4. If you are coming from a Gingerbread rom you need to do a full wipe. (cache, davlik cache, data, and system.) If you are coming from an other ICS rom e.g CM9 then you just need to wipe cache and davlik cache.
  • 5. Select install zip from where ever you put the files onto. So if you put it on the external sd card you would pick "Install from SD Card".
  • 6. Install in the following order. "Rom and then Gapps"
  • 7. Reboot.
Please note that the first install will take some time ( About 3 to 5 minutes.)

F.A.Q

Q. What settings do I use to get tethering to work?
A.
Device-Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Change Setup-Method: WEXT (ad-hoc)
MSS clamping checked
Routing fix checked

Want to report a issue you are having with the rom? Then use getlogs.
[APP] GetLogs - Get dmesg, logcat, radio, etc with one click! - xda-developers

Will update this post later

Change Log
HTML:
5-2-2014
Freed more ram. available ram is 394MB
Fixed bluetooth music playback (AD2P)

4-10-2014

Initial release

Credits and thanks:
PAC-ROM
(link to website)
ParanoidAndroid (link to website)
AOKP (link to website)
Cyanogenmod (link to website)
LG
Dorregaray (donation link)
G60madman
Downthemachine

Giantpune
Starkraving
NetSpeedZ
Dev-Host

and everyone else I missed.

PATCHES:

HTML:
None

Gapps:

Dev-Host - gapps-minimal-jb-20130115-signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Google Maps 6.14.4: (This version is the latest version that we can use without graphical glitches seen in the new ones.)

Dev-Host - Maps_6.14.4.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Virgin Mobile:

Dev-Host - vm696pac_m3s_4.2-milestone.1.release_20140502-160438.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Sprint:

Dev-Host - ls696pac_m3s_4.2-milestone.1.release_20140502-155321.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Screenshots:

Coming soon

While donating is not required to use this rom it's always appreciated
Donations:

No problem with the stock keyboard here, cant use google now because google play services isnt installed, google play says no connection, retry. I also have occasional issues where holo launcher icons turn black in the app drawer, internet browsing works and voice search works. otherwise the rom is great, im using the symlinked gapps.

Upvote 0
so the only issue i get is after a few reboots, i get a nonstop SystemUI has stopped. after i click okay, it just pops back up after a couple seconds, stuck in a loop. ive reflashed and it still does it to me afer a few reboots. Spam Detection For Paste ID: fJ7SG6vA
thanks in advance for looking into this

:edit: after clicking all kinds of stuff in settings while experiencing this, i toggled the setting to enable/disable "Quick Settings" back to enabled. suddenly SystemUI stopped crashing and the rom came back to life! although i prefer to have this option disabled, i will keep it on to keep SystemUI happy so that i can keep using this excellent rom. your the best Phenomx4!!

Upvote 0
nice new camera problem popped up today "insert an sd card before using the camera" . so anyways somehow emmc dissapeared... thats really really bad. its still there in recovery.

update: couldnt figure it out, so i reinstalled and it seems to be working fine again, ill see if i can reproduce the problem.

Upvote 0
Installed a couple days ago and really like this ROM. My experience so far:

• Google Play reports no connection if symlinks gapps are installed. Installing the minimal version of gapps resolved this. (Same issue nerdmastax reported above)
  • If the phone is powered off simply plugging in the power adapter causes the phone to boot.
  • Everything has been running stable and smooth with CPU set at 245 MHz minimum and 1612 MHz maximum. Governor set to ondemand and IO scheduler set to noop.
  • No random reboots, sync problems, camera, keyboard or SD card issues.
Thanks phenom for putting all this together!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones