• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM BETA] Gingerbread....More Working!!

ronaldramsayii

Android Enthusiast
* UPDATED on 1/3/11 *

This is a ROM that i compiled from cyanogenmod source with a separate gapps.zip
Ill try to keep this up to date, ill compile a new ROM every few days.

CM 7 Alpha Download and Gapps

what works:
-Sleep Mode Animation!!!!
-gps
-camera
-accelerometer
-usb storage
-browser
-everything else
-custom power control!!

what doesn't work:
-New Market
-Camcorder
-Light sensor for auto brightness
-Keyboard lights
-Data connection is lost after a phone call (toggling airplane mode brings it back)
-Apps did not automatically restore from the market (IT WORKED FOR ME!!!)
#################################
#-IT may take awhile to install
#-WIPE DATA.....CLEAN WIPE
#-if you're having any problems feel free to ask
#-i try to test everything before i post links but im only one person so, if you find a problem ill fix it asap
#################################

Compiled by Jeffv2
Jeffv2 is just a guy who's in high school doing this! Amazing work so far!!

The market doesn't seem to be working, it loads the application but nothing is rendered besides the top bar. The ToS doesn't display either

The market doesn't seem to be working, it loads the application but nothing is rendered besides the top bar. The ToS doesn't display either
People have been saying that.... It's something about to much being in the system folder. Not sure....He's updating frequently...so it'll be fixed....

A handful of my apps (Shazam, Wells Fargo, Where, Tasker, Movies) didn't reappear after installing this, and the TiBu backup fails to install them. The market, which works fine for me, downloads the apps but is also unable to install them. I've tried a couple restarts but I'm not sure what the problem is. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Don't use any of those, but later when I get it loaded I'll report back on how things went on my end.

Yeah, I've been excited to get to play with 2.3, but worried that some/many of my apps won't be compatible as of yet.

Still planning on waiting a little bit before I jump in. I'd guess there would be a round of app updates by the dev's as 2.3 starts rolling out to...what...the original nexus first? Is the nexus S shipping with 2.3?

I played with the ROM solo last night, as in not logging in and all that.

I'm about to swap back over to this GB release, and wipe data and start fresh -= and log in and see what happens.

Ok, it installed most of my apps (won't see twitter in the market), and gb has a ton of new settings.

But, gv will not log in, neither via 3G not via wifi. Deal breaker for me, I am highly reliant on gv....

Will the next compiled version allow the accelerometer to work properly, along with Google Voice? I'm really anxious to try GB but not having the accelerometer working is kind of a deal breaker for me. Keep up the good work though.

Ok, it installed most of my apps (won't see twitter in the market), and gb has a ton of new settings.

But, gv will not log in, neither via 3G not via wifi. Deal breaker for me, I am highly reliant on gv....

How did you get the market working, or moreover, how did you install the rom?

The same as with any other ROM. I used Clockwork Mod:

1. Booted into ClockworkMod Recovery
  2. Selected nandroid menu item
  3. select backup and waited for backup to finish
  4. backed out to main menu
  5. selected partitions menu
  6. formatted (wipe) /boot
  7. formatted (wipe) /system
  8. formatted (wipe) /data
  9. formatted (wipe) /cache
  10. Backed out to main menu
  11. selected install zip from sdcard
  12. selected choose zip from sdcard
  13. selected the file from my sdcard and let it install

I wipe all 4 for just my sake - you can get away with just wiping /data and /cache if you want.

Market, as I mentioned, was working, but it looked to be the pre-FroYo version, and it would not find the official twitter app for Android in the market at all. When I signed in to my Google account it started downloading all my apps automatically.

The same as with any other ROM. I used Clockwork Mod:

1. Booted into ClockworkMod Recovery
  2. Selected nandroid menu item
  3. select backup and waited for backup to finish
  4. backed out to main menu
  5. selected partitions menu
  6. formatted (wipe) /boot
  7. formatted (wipe) /system
  8. formatted (wipe) /data
  9. formatted (wipe) /cache
  10. Backed out to main menu
  11. selected install zip from sdcard
  12. selected choose zip from sdcard
  13. selected the file from my sdcard and let it install

I wipe all 4 for just my sake - you can get away with just wiping /data and /cache if you want.

Market, as I mentioned, was working, but it looked to be the pre-FroYo version, and it would not find the official twitter app for Android in the market at all. When I signed in to my Google account it started downloading all my apps automatically.

I'm actually not too worried about the accelerometer, but is everything else working correctly? I really want to take the plunge and flash this ROM but I need it to be relatively functional since I only have one phone.

As far as I could tell, most things worked - but since I could not log into my GV account I discarded the ROM after only a couple of hours.

Looks like accelerometer and camera are fixed in latest builds, really only keyboard back-lighting left to fix. I think this is a daily driver now.

Back
Top Bottom