• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root/Busybox with a Mac?

Ok, so I've been reading some info about rooting a droid here and at rootyourdroid.info, probably going to buy one this afternoon since the incredible isn't out yet. Rooting seems to be pretty universal between PC/Mac, but when it gets to the USB debugging/Busybox install it appears a PC is required.

Anyone know if this can be done from a Mac or a Linux box?
I don't currently have a Windows computer anywhere in the house, and don't really want to use my work laptop for this if I don't have to. Thanks for any info.

I did this but it says the adb command is not found. Weird. In my tools folder there is an adb file as well.

You can pretty much do it all on your phone using any of the terminal emulators available in the market (you would not type "adb" before each command. You can also use an "all in one" root solution from your phone using a program like DM Updater which will root, install recovery and busybox, and flash. I would still highly recommend learning how to do all the steps manually to prepare yourself for any problems. The terminal emulator would be my choice (you would need to make sure the required files are on your SD card).

Shrink57, thanks for the info. I'm going to read a log more about it before I jump in. I'm comfortable with CLI and linux so shouldnt' be a problem once I get the process down in my head. I'm going to look into the DM updater type programs as well.

Shrink57, thanks for the info. I'm going to read a log more about it before I jump in. I'm comfortable with CLI and linux so shouldnt' be a problem once I get the process down in my head. I'm going to look into the DM updater type programs as well.

No problem. I am sure it will work out for you.

Back
Top Bottom