• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oneplus 7 pro

I want to root my one plus 7 pro, but I am scared. What if I mess up, what is the worse that can happen? Is it worth it to root it? Is it harder than what it seems to root it or am I just overthinking? I would really appreciate some advice

to root or not to root is an ever going debate here and everywhere. it all boils down to you. if my device was rootable (note 8 snapdragon) i would. but at the moment the snapdragon samsung's are not rootable and probably never will be. as device and android os get updates securities will always get harder to root which is a good thing as it will prevent thieves from doing bad things to your phone. but it will also depend on the manufacturer and carrier as well. google pixel phones are easy to root.

if you ever want or curious as to rooting your phone, always head on over to xda. it is a developers forum where the developers will publish their wares. when i'm looking into rooting a device i go to xda first and first look to see there is an actual forum for your device. and next i will look to see how active the forum is. if there are no forum and if there is one for your phone, but it is very slow or not very active then that is not good for your device. even if there is a way to root your phone, if there is no developer to support your phone then there is not much fun in rooting. sure with rooting you can do things like delete some stuff, but that is very boring. the fun is you get to try some custom roms that the devs put out. these are much improved version of the os system that your phone has and they put their own spin to it. some roms are very fast and can give you better battery life. some are just themed very well.

thanx to @Dannydet that links goes to xda and it looks like the forum there is very active.....so you re good their.

and don't be scared. the main thing is to read, read, read, and then read some more. feel free to ask questions here.

Yes it is safe until you know what you are doing and what is the purpose of rooting for you.

Most of us root our phone to make it faster in term of performance, to try custom ROMs and their advanced features and so on.

I had rooted my phone to make it more faster. Greenify is an app that can force stop app running in background, without root it can do it too but it will make you enable a service from accessibility and then after selecting apps it will start force stopping one by one, but in root mode (+xposed) it can force stop as many as 30 apps in just a single tap, isn’t it awesome?

The second app i use is the No-frills CPU. The app can let me use CPU at max clock. So that i can play games that may stutter with default profile of CPU but will not, after clocking it to max. Overclocking is also supported if you use a custom kernel that has been developed to use higher clocks.

Now that was my point of using root.

Main Advantages of rooting are:
  1. You gain access to root and can change system defaults to anything.
  2. You can try apps that can increase productivity.
  3. You can overclock your CPU and GPU.
  4. You can try custom ROM (root is not necessary but custom recovery is).
Main Disadvantages:
  1. You might lose your phone’s warranty.
  2. You might get a dead boot after rooting. ( it is called getting bricked, hard bricked in that case)
  3. You might lose your data unexpectedly. (either on internal or external card)
  4. Your device might go unstable. (Random app crash, reboots, device heating up more than usual)

Back
Top Bottom