• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root vs. Custom ROM without root?

zanthal

the Optimus V is my first smartphone, and thus I've got nooberiffic questions for the experienced folks.

I'm new to smartphones, but as for most all other PC tech subjects, I'm already familiar with, which is why I feel like I can read all the instructions and manage to root and flash a custom ROM, or just do the latter without causing any harm to my phone.

However, I'm only able to find at best vague answers as to the "why" of doing it in the first place.

If what I've read is correct, then there are apps out there that can't be installed on the Optimus V without it being rooted first. I don't have or currently need any other apps than I already have, so this doesn't really apply to me.

Also, I've read that you can flash a custom ROM without rooting.

To cover all my bases, I'll just ask:

• Can an android application be found and transferred to your OV from your PC, and be installed without rooting?

• What are some examples of apps that cannot be installed without rooting?

Thanks in advance for the time spent answering these questions for me, I'm sure you get them a lot. :)

UPDATE: I've found a thread that explains the benefits of rooting, which I'm going to scour for info now. I would though still be happy to hear anyone's answers.

Since I myself am still kind of new to root/roming I'll play it safe and say.. not that I'm aware of.

• Can an android application be found and transferred to your OV from your PC, and be installed without rooting?
Yes. You can move an app from your pc to your phone via USB. This is called sideloading. You can then install the app from your SD card without being rooted (as long as the app itself does not require root).

A good exampe is Titanium Backup, which is what most of who are rooted use to backup our phones. It has many many other beneficial things it can do as well. Generally a developer will write in the description of the app that root is required for install. Font Changer is another good example. This changes the overall font on your phone.

the Optimus V is my first smartphone, and thus I've got nooberiffic questions for the experienced folks.

I'm new to smartphones, but as for most all other PC tech subjects, I'm already familiar with, which is why I feel like I can read all the instructions and manage to root and flash a custom ROM, or just do the latter without causing any harm to my phone.

However, I'm only able to find at best vague answers as to the "why" of doing it in the first place.

Rooting your device can free the potential of the Android operating system and gives you FULL control of your device. Many carriers load their phones up with bloatware (the free demo games that come with the phone), which cannot usually be removed without rooting. I've seen that you've found a benefits of rooting thread, so I won't go in to this any further! :)

If what I've read is correct, then there are apps out there that can't be installed on the Optimus V without it being rooted first. I don't have or currently need any other apps than I already have, so this doesn't really apply to me.

I can't talk specifically with regards to your device, but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to put a custom ROM on your phone without rooting it.

To cover all my bases, I'll just ask:

Yes - you can install apps on your device without rooting... rather than doing it via the PC, I'd just do it through the Android Market though

Some examples are:
Titanium Backup
Root Explorer
DroidWall

I think that you can install them, but they wouldn't work at all/properly/fully.

Thanks in advance for the time spent answering these questions for me, I'm sure you get them a lot. :)

No problemo - it's all about sharing on AF!!

UPDATE: I've found a thread that explains the benefits of rooting, which I'm going to scour for info now. I would though still be happy to hear anyone's answers.

I'm not familiar with your device, but recomend rooting. I got my first Andoird device (Desire HD) in March and rooted a month later... I haven't looked back since then!!! :D

To be able to install a custom rom you need access to the system files on your device. Without rooting, you do not have this access. If you have read somewhere that root access is not needed to install custom roms, please give us a link so we can check this out.

To be able to install a custom rom you need access to the system files on your device. Without rooting, you do not have this access. If you have read somewhere that root access is not needed to install custom roms, please give us a link so we can check this out.

Thanks for the responses ... when I get back from work later I'll dig through my web history and find the thread where I read this and link it.

UPDATE: mleh, I'm not even sure that it was posted on these forums where I had read this bit about custom ROMs without rooting. I'm not too concerned with it at this point, I was successful with rooting and flashing backside CM7 ... with which I am thoroughly impressed.

Back
Top Bottom