• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted CM7 --> stock ICS...how?

I'm currently rooted and running CM7.1.1 on my thunderbolt. Everything works great.

My employer has finally allowed Good for Enterprise (GFE) on android devices, but they require it to be unrooted. So I'm thinking of unrooting and therefore also updating to stock ICS which was just released before installing GFE. What is the easiest process to do this transition?

I'll really miss the benefits of root (especially wifi tether) but trying to get GFE to run on a rooted device seems very difficult right now.

thanks

following the directions in the root/unroot sticky will leave you on 2.11.605.19,wich is the release build prior to ICS. the phone will naturally OTA from there.

alternately,you could veriy easily install a stock ICS rom,and simply delete the superuser app and binary,leaving you with an unrooted operating system. you could leave your s off and custom recovery in place in case you ever want to be rooted again.

admittedly i dont know GFE is exactly,but i doubt it knows more than wether or not your OS system is allowing the user root permissions.i.e.,it should be oblivious to s off and recovery :)

thanks scotty,
I used the one stop tool to unroot and go back to 100% stock, then OTA to get to ICS (4.0.4).

The main reason I rooted in the first place was to get wifi tether (a no bloat ROM was nice too), since the apps in the market that do this on unrooted phones don't work for HTC phones.

GFE checks root whenever it is run. Ideally there would be a way for me to have my phone unrooted by default (so GFE would work), but have the ability to turn off GFE and "enable" root in the rare situations I need wifi tether.

Any thoughts?

about the only thing i can think of is you could keep superuser on your sd card,so if you needed to boot to recovery and flash it you could. youd then just need to delete the binary from system/xbin and the app from system/app in order for GFE to work again. if we know exactly how it was checking for root,maybe that would spark some other ideas.

CM roms actually now are unrooted by default. you can enable root access in settings/developer options on cm 9+ roms. might be a viable option :)

Back
Top Bottom