• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Desire with Custom ROM launcher issue

heat57

Android Enthusiast
Hi, I have successfully rooted my Desire with S-off and installed Cynogenmod CM7.1 GB based ROM. This has an ADW launcher built in, which is causing problems force closing randomly. It seems to be the only issue with the ROM. Question, if I uninstalled the launcher will this cause any problems? Are there any solutions? Oh, I OC'd to 1.073 GHz.

Suspect it might be something to do with OC - i'd take it back to 998 first and see if it stabilises. I OC'd but got intermittent hangs/force closes needing battery pulls so have reverted back to 998 max - seems some phones cope better than others.

Wouldn't uninstall without installing another launcher first though - tbh there's not much point uninstalling ADW anyway, just d/l and set a different one as default launcher.

I use Go myself but also other out there.

Actually unless you are S-Off (or use ADB) you won't be able to uninstall ADW. But as Saltire says you can just use another launcher instead.

And if we managed to uninstall the launcher without installing another one you might find the phone rather hard to use :)

Actually unless you are S-Off (or use ADB) you won't be able to uninstall ADW. But as Saltire says you can just use another launcher instead.

And if we managed to uninstall the launcher without installing another one you might find the phone rather hard to use :)

Iam "S-Off" - already referred to that in my initial question! I am aware that any OS will need a launcher/explorer, however, I thought ADW sits on-top of the Google launcher? Probably I'm wrong. So you are telling me that Cyanogen have replaced the stock Google launcher with this one? By-the-way, I have reduced the clockspeed down to 998MHz, but this has made absolutely no difference. I prefer the Google stock launcher tbh - is there a way of obtaining that and flashing it? Thanks in advance.

I'm running my Desire on CM7.1 with the built in ADW Launcher. Never had any FC's to date. I too would suspect your overclocking. You could try running a different launcher (eg Go Launcher) and see if you still get any FC's.

Iam "S-Off" - already referred to that in my initial question! I am aware that any OS will need a launcher/explorer, however, I thought ADW sits on-top of the Google launcher? Probably I'm wrong. So you are telling me that Cyanogen have replaced the stock Google launcher with this one? By-the-way, I have reduced the clockspeed down to 998MHz, but this has made absolutely no difference. I prefer the Google stock launcher tbh - is there a way of obtaining that and flashing it? Thanks in advance.
Sorry Heat, didn't spot that.

Yes, CM will have replaced the stock launcher with ADW. If you prefer Launcher2 and don't have it anywhere I'm sure I can find it for you. Or if you have a zip of a ROM that used it, unzip that and you'll find it in /system/app. Or if you backed it up with Titanium (e.g. because you did a batch "back up all apps" as I tend to do) you should be able to just restore that.

Back
Top Bottom