• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted samsung s6. Update?

Herb94

Lurker
I recently bought a Samsung s6 on done deal and the phone is rooted. I didn't know anything about rooted phones until I bought one, other than what I've read on Google. Anyway, I just realised the other day that you can no longer get OTA updates for the phone unless you connect it to a computer and download a certain app which gets rid of the root. Doesn't sound so bad to me? But as I'm new to this I'm wondering is it straight forward enough for a beginner to do or can things go wrong? Also my phone was on ID network but is unlocked now (I'm assuming the root unlocked it) so if I download an update and get rid of the root will this also lock my phone again? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can get OTAs while rooted, but the OTA will very likely close the root exploit and unroot your phone, making it subsequently more difficult to root. As far as phone unlocking goes, it should not lock your phone back to a carrier.

Back
Top Bottom