• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting 2.3.5

hey guys,

going out of my mind here. Been trying to swap roms from Liberty (very unstable for me for some reason) to Gingerbread Phone 7 since I've been wanting a windows phone lately.

I've literally been doing this for 5+ hours now. I meant to go to bed at 3 am, it's not almost 8. Arghh!

I finally have 95% of it figured out, but the one thing holding me back is getting the phone to root in 2.3.5. I did a bunch of reading and finally figured out that I needed to SBF back to 2.3.4, root and use the voodoo root saver thing to save the root. Then SBF'd back to 2.3.5, recovered the root. Said it worked, but my phone isn't rooted.

The only thing I can guess is that I used the oneclick root to root it in 2.3.4. Will that not carry over, even with voodoo? Also, I kept reading everyone saying that you need to root in 2.3.4 and then OTA to 2.3.5. That's not an option on my phone to update, I have to SBF it to do so. Could that be it?

Thanks guys

hey guys,

going out of my mind here. Been trying to swap roms from Liberty (very unstable for me for some reason) to Gingerbread Phone 7 since I've been wanting a windows phone lately.

I've literally been doing this for 5+ hours now. I meant to go to bed at 3 am, it's not almost 8. Arghh!

I finally have 95% of it figured out, but the one thing holding me back is getting the phone to root in 2.3.5. I did a bunch of reading and finally figured out that I needed to SBF back to 2.3.4, root and use the voodoo root saver thing to save the root. Then SBF'd back to 2.3.5, recovered the root. Said it worked, but my phone isn't rooted.

The only thing I can guess is that I used the oneclick root to root it in 2.3.4. Will that not carry over, even with voodoo? Also, I kept reading everyone saying that you need to root in 2.3.4 and then OTA to 2.3.5. That's not an option on my phone to update, I have to SBF it to do so. Could that be it?

Thanks guys

You don't SBF back to 2.3.5, you apply an OTA update instead.

• SBF to 2.3.4
  • Root using Motorola One Click or Pete's Root (NOT zergrush, I've been using the One Click without problems, but have had an issue once with Pete's)
  • Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the market
  • Open Voodoo, Protect root, Temp Unroot
  • Put the 2.3.4-380 to 2.3.5-418 (or whatever version you require) on your sd-card and apply update using the stock recovery, or download and install the update from your phone settings.
  • Run Voodoo, Restore Root, Delete Backup

Now you should have a rooted 2.3.5.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I figured that's what the problem was, but the "update" option was greyed out and I didn't know you could just download/install the update like that. Thanks!

Root using Motorola One Click or Pete's Root (NOT zergrush, I've been using the One Click without problems)
Just curious in regards to Zegrush, is it that it doesn't work in this process (keeping root in 2.3.5) or that it doesn't work for you in general? Last time I rooted (going back from CM9 to CM7) I tried it and it worked for me but I'm staying on 2.3.4

Just curious in regards to Zegrush, is it that it doesn't work in this process (keeping root in 2.3.5) or that it doesn't work for you in general? Last time I rooted (going back from CM9 to CM7) I tried it and it worked for me but I'm staying on 2.3.4

From what I understand, zergrush removes files that the others don't. Whether it affects rooting 2.3.5 or how Voodoo works, I don't know, but I keep reading that the missing files screw things up.

Back