• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting a non-activated Droid X

ThermalGuy

It's a long story but my dog ate my bionic and my wife gave me her old Droid X
after buying an S4. In the meantime, I switched back to my old original droid
A855 and activated it so I would at least have something to use.

Unfortunately it's only a 3G phone and is running on 2.3 and does not support several of the applications that I need to use for my business that require ICS or greater. It occurred to me that I might be able to root this phone and flash a different ROM and upgrade it to ICS. Is that possible?

The second part of this question is; How to I do this on a un-activated phone?
When she switched, this one was deactivated and everything transferred to her new S4 and I really don't want to activate this one prior to rooting it if I can avoid it since that would leave me with no phone at all if I managed to brick this thing. I know it's only five bucks to switch but it takes time to set up the phone every time you do. It takes a long time to sift through all the applications I had on my Bionic and my Nexus 7 and find the ones that run on 2.3.

Yes, got by the activation screen. Used Pete's Moto root tools which handled the root.

The current stopper on this project is an unrecognized 16 GB micro-SD. Even with an adapter, it is not recognized by my computer either. Clean contacts, tried a different adapter, tried it in another device. No Go, I guess it's really dead. i have Titanium backup Pro installed and it's telling me there is no SD card and I think it needs that to run the backup.:(

Thanks for checking

Back
Top Bottom