• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting and installing custom ROMs?

Anyone know if this is possible and reliable yet?
Literally just got the phone today and can't stand the lack of option.

This is a good news, bad news, good news answer.....

The good news is that the phone can be rooted and it is not very hard or intimidating to do.

The bad news is that there still is not a custom recovery available for this phone so even if you root the phone, installing custom ROM's will not be possible (not that there are any custom ROM's to install at this point as it is).

The good news is that if you do root the phone and install Xposed, the "Gravity Box KK" Xposed module works like a charm and is very stable so a lot of the customization you may have liked from the custom ROM you were using on your last phone can probably be attained this way.

There is a thread on how to accomplish this at the link below. Posts 4, 7, and 8 address how to root the phone so read those posts and ensure you unlock the bootloader via Moto's support site first.

Since you asked about rooting, the moderator should probably move this post over to the root only section as well.

http://androidforums.com/moto-g-4g-lte-all-things-root/852712-does-anyone-know-if-moto-g-lte-will-able-rooted-have-cyanogenmod.html

It is worth it to get rooted. This phone runs great the way it is anyways. You can make back ups with Titanium, uninstall unwanted apps, of course installed xposed framework to get the goodies. Notice that I was able to installed the new navigation buttons from the Android L and the new keyboard as well. So in
Screenshot_2014-07-01-14-43-20.png
[/URL][/IMG] my opinion it is worth it to get rooted.

It is worth it to get rooted. This phone runs great the way it is anyways. You can make back ups with Titanium, uninstall unwanted apps, of course installed xposed framework to get the goodies. Notice that I was able to installed the new navigation buttons from the Android L and the new keyboard as well. So in
Screenshot_2014-07-01-14-43-20.png
[/URL][/IMG] my opinion it is worth it to get rooted.

I agree with this 100%. While the lack of a custom recovery and any custom ROM's is a bit of a downer, rooting the phone still provides added functionality. Even though the root method is slightly different from phones that do have a working custom recovery, once rooted, the phone is going to be running root and SuperSU the same as any other phone.

While this phone does not contain ton's of fat when compared to devices running heavily customized launchers/overlays such as Touchwiz and Sense, there is still some fat that can be cut away and when the phone only has 1Gb of RAM to run the system and apps in, the ability to remove this fat or simply stop unnecessary apps from automatically loading at boot becomes important. If the phone is rooted you can utilize "Titanium Backup" to trim away the fat and the Xposed module "Bootmananger" to stop all of those apps that do load but have no reason too from loading at every boot. My phone runs much faster and smoother because I have done these things.

-Anthony

ok so you guys have made two valid points that I agree with after my original statement. The only situation that I would still say wait for a custom recovery is for Rooting Noobs. Purely because for a noob it is safer to have a fully working recovery. Most noobs don't even try to become fluent in ADB which may be required to get out of a tight spot when not having a fully working recovery.

ok so you guys have made two valid points that I agree with after my original statement. The only situation that I would still say wait for a custom recovery is for Rooting Noobs. Purely because for a noob it is safer to have a fully working recovery. Most noobs don't even try to become fluent in ADB which may be required to get out of a tight spot when not having a fully working recovery.

Agree with it. Noobs need to be careful yet the only way to learn is by taking chances and owning responsibility for their doings. I remember when I was one and I took my chances and now after more than four years rooting, flashing ROMs, etc it was worth it. One thing that I do recommend is to READ, READ, READ, and follow the instruction given and ask questions. Hey, is good to see guys getting more involved in the Moto G LTE section. Let's see some homescreen in the homescreen thread.

As far as CM11 goes, it'll take someone with your device to make an unofficial one first (I believe). Then once it gets stable enough, it can be submitted to CM to become official (at least I think that's how it works). You have to remember, even the original Moto G (I have the original) started out with no custom ROMs or recovery. Give it some time and it'll come to ya.

Imo I think since the phone is already 8 months old that developers will probably not waste time on this phone and move on to something newer. Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a few roms made for it. I think if the Moto G would have initially launched with 4G it would have really taken off.

Imo I think since the phone is already 8 months old that developers will probably not waste time on this phone and move on to something newer. Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a few roms made for it. I think if the Moto G would have initially launched with 4G it would have really taken off.

The problem is that non of the carriers sell the 4G version yet. We would have lots of traffic if they did, but we just get the few that buy directly from Motorola or through Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom