• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting for dummies

i have an lg tribute that recently updated after several denials from me. Since the minute the phone updated ive had nothing but problems. itwont open apps severe lag, loss of touch control among other things.. ive done a soft and hard reset and nothing other than it has now bootlooped... i would like to root the dan but have no idea where or how to begin please help?

i have an lg tribute that recently updated after several denials from me. Since the minute the phone updated ive had nothing but problems. itwont open apps severe lag, loss of touch control among other things.. ive done a soft and hard reset and nothing other than it has now bootlooped... i would like to root the dan but have no idea where or how to begin please help?
For your bootloop use thishttp://androidforums.com/threads/twrp-bootloop-fix-after-update-ota.922585/
It is my thread with the fix, plus there is a zip file in downloads section if you don't want to enter the fix manually. Its a proven method. Check it out, please leave feedback on link.

For your bootloop use thishttp://androidforums.com/threads/twrp-bootloop-fix-after-update-ota.922585/
It is my thread with the fix, plus there is a zip file in downloads section if you don't want to enter the fix manually. Its a proven method. Check it out, please leave feedback on link.

The phone is stuck in bootloop. ive not been able to get past the lg screen in order to enable the debugging. i'm so lost. i cant afford to go buy a new phone. for at least two weeks but i have to have this one for work.. can i root the phonw without debugging or hat? how can i flash or anything if i cant get out of the loop? please help.

The phone is stuck in bootloop. ive not been able to get past the lg screen in order to enable the debugging. i'm so lost. i cant afford to go buy a new phone. for at least two weeks but i have to have this one for work.. can i root the phonw without debugging or hat? how can i flash or anything if i cant get out of the loop? please help.
and i'm not sure how what rom to use for the root. i have no clue about anything really. ive never done a root before so im a minnow in a sea of trout. i'm reading everything i can find and im just getting more confused. if i could afford a new phone i wouldnt be here seeming like a fool

First thing first.
  • Sit back
  • Close your eyes
  • Take a deep breathe
  • Relax
Okay, your in a bootloop. Lets get this fixed.

If you have custom recovery installed
  • Put the attached zip in your sd card and back in your phone.
  • Then boot the phone up, you'll be in TWRP (Recovery).
  • Press the install button.
  • Goto the location your zip was saved to. Tap on file.
  • Slide the flash zip button.
  • Wait for it to complete and reboot.

If you have stock recovery
  • Change the name of the attached zip to update.zip.
  • Then put on sd card, back in phone.
  • Then bootup to recovery.
  • Select option to install update.zip from external storage. (See photo)
  • Use volume (up/down) and power (enter) buttons to navigate.
  • Follow prompts, when done reboot.
035.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
no i dont have twrp installed sadly. Im charging the battery on a external charger before i do anything else. But i did down load the fix you sent. so i will attempt the fix as soon as i can. and thank you thank you.

oh i downloaded the flash lg tool should i use that to flash the fix? or just update ?

also where can i find the twrp recovery? since if i get out of the loop i want to go ahead and just root the phone. i'm constantly fighting the storage issues. As you can tell by my photo that its a edit. i run several photo apps on the phone. i had planned on rooting it before all of this happened but i was taking my time and trying to learn as much as possible before doing so because i was afraid i would brick the phone. but now it seems i have no choice.. so thank you for your help

no i dont have twrp installed sadly. Im charging the battery on a external charger before i do anything else. But i did down load the fix you sent. so i will attempt the fix as soon as i can. and thank you thank you.

oh i downloaded the flash lg tool should i use that to flash the fix? or just update ?

also where can i find the twrp recovery? since if i get out of the loop i want to go ahead and just root the phone. i'm constantly fighting the storage issues. As you can tell by my photo that its a edit. i run several photo apps on the phone. i had planned on rooting it before all of this happened but i was taking my time and trying to learn as much as possible before doing so because i was afraid i would brick the phone. but now it seems i have no choice.. so thank you for your help

Turn the phone on and when recovery starts, just follow the second group of steps I mention in post 6. (I haven't used the LG tool yet, so can't give you steps on how to use it.)

Lets get your phone booting properly, then we'll get on to TWRP.

i keep getting a failed to mount erroe.. also i have the zv6 update do i change the whole file to updte.zip or do i need to open the file and download something in particular. im so sorry for beind so inept. used to think i was pretty good with tech but this has me feeling like a newborn lol

i keep getting a failed to mount erroe.. also i have the zv6 update do i change the whole file to updte.zip or do i need to open the file and download something in particular. im so sorry for beind so inept. used to think i was pretty good with tech but this has me feeling like a newborn lol
Alright, take this new zip file that's attached and put it on your SD card. Then follow the 2nd group of steps in post 6.
This zip is the same except it has a signature verification, so it shouldn't produce an error.

Attachments

i must be a secret blonde or my phone is. i did just like you said i copied and paced the whole update zip file and my phone is still saying.... failed to mount... invalid argument

i really have no clue why i cant get this to work.. but im also get i different screen than the one you showed me

yeah im not able to type anything intoo that screen. infact i deleted everything off of the card and formatted the card then added the file

the phone formats everytime i boot to recovery everytime. then it says manual select menu then when i select apply from sdcard it says E:failed to mount/sdcard(invalid argument)

choose a package to install/sdcard

../

i went out and bought a real data cable instead of the cheap charge only cable. i was reading how it would be easier to do it thru the download mode. i am sorry for taking up so much of your time. but truly i do thank you for all of the help. i

i went out and bought a real data cable instead of the cheap charge only cable. i was reading how it would be easier to do it thru the download mode. i am sorry for taking up so much of your time. but truly i do thank you for all of the help. i
I don't mind helping. We all have to learn and this the best way, with people that can help get you in the right direction.
Follow that link, get TWRP installed, come back here and I'll help you with the bootloop.

Install TWRP via download mode. My instructions here:
http://androidforums.com/threads/st...he-most-of-download-mode.944059/#post-7086984
You don't need to worry about the part about backing up stock recovery in my post (the bottom part), since you can pull the recovery image from the official update if you need it later.

You can find SuperR's TWRP 2.8.6.0 in this post:
http://androidforums.com/threads/lg...d-unmodified-4-4-2.922509/page-6#post-7023913

To get into recovery from the power-off state, hold volume down and power long enough until the boot logo screen goes away and the second screen appears. Apply the bootloop fix zip in TWRP. The first time you try to reboot in TWRP, it will ask you whether you want to root by installing SuperSU (unless you've done it already). I'd suggest not doing it the first time. Reboot into the system and make sure everything is okay. Go back to TWRP and make a backup of your system files and data. Then you can root or apply other fixes/hacks in TWRP if you wish. Good luck.

Install TWRP via download mode. My instructions here:
http://androidforums.com/threads/st...he-most-of-download-mode.944059/#post-7086984
You don't need to worry about the part about backing up stock recovery in my post (the bottom part), since you can pull the recovery image from the official update if you need it later.

You can find SuperR's TWRP 2.8.6.0 in this post:
http://androidforums.com/threads/lg...d-unmodified-4-4-2.922509/page-6#post-7023913

To get into recovery from the power-off state, hold volume down and power long enough until the boot logo screen goes away and the second screen appears. Apply the bootloop fix zip in TWRP. The first time you try to reboot in TWRP, it will ask you whether you want to root by installing SuperSU (unless you've done it already). I'd suggest not doing it the first time. Reboot into the system and make sure everything is okay. Go back to TWRP and make a backup of your system files and data. Then you can root or apply other fixes/hacks in TWRP if you wish. Good luck.
Lol. :) That's same link, except your providing more info. ;). I just wanted them to get things done orderly without overwhelming them. :). They are kinda new at this. Thanks for chiming in with the extra know how, I've been stuck with my head in kernel development. Getting lost, to say the least.
@Heavenly Knyte This just shows that we are a great community, helping each other out!!

Back
Top Bottom