• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting question

JAy3001

Android Expert
I love my phones to be rooted as I like firewalls running. I never use roms, just root.

So how easy is it to do with a nexus device? And will it effect the OTA updates?

On my last phone the root process was a bit painful and horrid to unroot. Plus for some reason the devs removed the default camera torch, PDF viewer and calculator! That was a WTF issue for me, so will that sort of thing happen if I root my nexus?

Hey JAy3001 :).

First off, yes, rooting nowadays will indeed affect your ability to successfully install a future OTA since the OTAs will likely cross-check and try to replace / update files that the rooting process utilizes.

Nexus devices are a breeze to root. The process is basically this:

- download the most current SuperSU from Chainfire's site (http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu)
- copy that UPDATE-SuperSU-v#.##.zip file to your device's SD card
- unlock your bootloader (put phone in fastboot/bootloader mode and then issue fastboot oem unlock command)
- flash or soft-boot a custom recovery (fastboot boot <custom-recovery.img>)
- install the SuperSU .zip file you previously downloaded from Chainfire's site
- reboot and enjoy root

There's a little more detail that I left-out that you can find in @Rxpert83's highly recommended thread: http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-root-the-nexus-6.885917/ but it's simple and straightforward.

You can also use an all-in-one tool like WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit, but you really do learn a lot and gain confidence when you do it manually yourself.

Hope that helps and cheers!

:)

Last edited:
Finally got around to rooting my N6. I used WugFresh method in the end, which almost went flawlessly until the phone got stuck booting on the please wait encrypting with 00:00 time left. A quick reboot and all is well.

Odd thing tho, I must have had an issue getting 4G which I had not noticed as I thought there was no cover where I am, but now I get a strong 4G signal.

Back
Top Bottom