• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions

jimjeffcoat

I've been away from these forums for several weeks, but after increasing levels of frustration with my Shift the way it is currently, I'm revisiting the idea of rooting it. After reading through some of the threads in this section, I've only become more confused. So with apologies if this has been covered already, here are the questions I have before starting.

1. Is the only way to root the Shift from Gingerbread still require setting it back to Froyo first, or is there a way now to root it directly from Gingerbread?

2. What kind of backup/preparation do I need to do? I assume backing up the SD card is probably a good idea, but is there anything else? Do I need to uninstall any apps? Will the rooting process leave my installed apps intact, or will I need to reinstall them afterward?

3. I'm assuming I need an actual laptop or PC to do the job? (I'm traveling right now and the only "laptop" I have access to is my Iconia tablet with a USB keyboard attached, which is what I'm using to read/post on the forums right now).

Thank you!!

1. From what I know, downgrading to froyo is the best way to do it. I don't know if it's the only way but I suggest that.

2. You should back up everything in your SD card, specifically files such as pictures and music. When I rooted my phone using the downgrading method, nothing was erased in my sd but when my friend did it, his stuff was erased. Your apps will be erased because you wipe everything when in rom manager.

3. You do need a computer to download sdk tools and use the cmd prompt to adb push files and flash the misc.img that needs to be done to downgrade.

How to root the HTC Evo Shift 4G part 1 of 4 - YouTube

Here is a video by VICODAN from XDA. His link to his forum is in the comments posted.

Back
Top Bottom