• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running without sense UI

poultrum

Just wondering if running the phone without sense ui will have any negative effects, just would like to use a bare bones system see what its like and see if i really do need all these fancy pants sense ui stuff , is their a way i could just turn it off temporarly to see what happens?

this would also help me make my mind up on whether or not to root cos obviously the 2.1 update sense ui would be nice but i would rather go 2.1 without the sense ui sooner rather than when the official update arrives , but need to kow if i`ll be able to cope without the sense ui , when i say cope i wana know my phone will still be as pimp as the day i bought it :)

You can always use the stock Home. Just go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Home and clear defaults. The next time you press Home you'll be given the choice of Sense or Stock and you'll keep getting that choice until you tick the Default box.

The Custom 2.1 ROMs that don't include Sense are faster (using Homerun Battle 3D) as a benchmark, than Custom 2.1 ROMs that included Sense.

-Mike

well i played about without the sense ui last night and although it doesn`t add that much to the whole experience the small things it does add are worth it, the htc widgets for 3g-wifi-bluetooth yeah i know i can download widgets for it but that just takesup precious mem, overall going to wait another month or two and if the 2.1 release is still nowhere near think i`ll root it :)

cheers for the help guys

well i played about without the sense ui last night and although it doesn`t add that much to the whole experience the small things it does add are worth it, the htc widgets for 3g-wifi-bluetooth yeah i know i can download widgets for it but that just takesup precious mem, overall going to wait another month or two and if the 2.1 release is still nowhere near think i`ll root it :)

cheers for the help guys

If you ever want to get 2.2 I'd upgrade to an unofficial 2.1 ROM now. If you grab the official 2.1 ROM you may never be able to root in the future.

I've been running my Hero without the Sense UI for quite some time now.. it's handy as I have 3 Android phones so keeping the 'stock' consistant saves me time..

well from what i have read the only thing thats putting me off rooting at the moment is i have to root my phone back to an older orange version then i can root to the 2.1 android thats just too much mucking about if the 2.1 is only round the corner and will only involve 1 root process not 2, so if htc pull their finger out i`ll be sound if not more work but the benefits should be worth it :) also i`ve heard htc are tinkering with the 2.1 so its runs better on the hero and if thats the case then its defo worth waiting for.

if the 2.1 is only round the corner and will only involve 1 root process not 2,

Bluenova's right. If you ever think you'll want to root your phone, or use custom firmware, you really should avoid the official 2.1 update like the plague. Sprint got their 2.1 update and none of the current rooting techniques work on it, so those people may well be stuck. So waiting for the 2.1 update really won't save you any headache when it comes to rooting.

Back
Top Bottom