• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 'S' key unwanted shortcut!

Hi all,

Yesterday the 'S' key on my hardware keyboard (HTC Desire Z) started shortcutting to the default message app.

Firstly this is very annoying as whenever I use the 'S' key in any app it loads the messages screen. Secondly I don't even use that app for messaging (I use Handcent).

The button is not assigned to anything in the shortcut menu, and restarting the phone got rid of it. However it is now back and I don't want to have to keep restarting the phone each time I want to type something!

Anyone know what is going on?!

Cheers

EDIT:
It does not matter whether I hold FN or SHIFT either. The shortcut is activated whenever the 'S' button is pressed no matter what else is going on.

EDIT 2:
Also finding that 'G' opens Gmail and 'B' opens the browser... looks like some kind of "helpful" shortcut option. But it's really not!

Found the answer! In the applications menu the shortcuts were set, but they were only meant to work when the letter is pressed WITH the search button.

After trying the shortcut using the search button at the same time it stopped opening the apps when just the button was pressed. Very bizarre. Seemed to think the search button was being pressed even though it wasn't. Anyway I hope this helps anyone else who finds them self in this situation.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones