• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S10e text customization

nlobell771

Mar 29, 2019
So I just switched carriers and upgraded my Galaxy s8+, which I really love, to this one. One of the features that I also really love seems to no longer be available. Did Android or Samsung do away with the text customization? It really bothers me that I can no longer do this.

Not looking for custom fonts, but I was able to change the backgrounds. Like for my kids I could make their pic the background.

But you stated "text customization" in your OP? Which to me means changing the default font or typeface.

You should be able to set a custom wallpaper to anything you like from your photos though. Should be an option for that in the theming or gallery setting. Where exactly I don't know, as I don't have an S10.

Upvote 0
Ah, do you mean the background to the message app? That was really not clear.

If so then if the app that comes with it doesn't have that feature just download a different one from the Play Store which does. There's no advantage to built in apps apart from their already being there, so if they don't do what you want there's no need to put up with them - there's almost always a better alternative.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I apologise, I guess it wasn't clear. I should have specified the text background rather than the font. I've looked in the play store for apps to use for this, but too many of them have ads. I think I'd rather deal with the text app the way it is than deal with ads lol. I'll keep looking. I'm getting used to it now, so I'm not as irritated as I was lol. I'll get over it eventually 😐😄

Upvote 0
Use your own wallpaper or an app like Zedge. Save it to your phone or sd card and then you can choose what you want for the text background.

After saving the wallpapers, you can delete zedge because you wouldn't need it anymore

Unfortunately I've tried that. There's no options for setting as a contact wallpaper. I can set it as a contact photo, but that's not what I'm trying to do. Maybe not enough people cared so they cut it lol

Upvote 0
The app that I suggested "Handcent Next sms" did allow the customization as you described. I used to use it on my S4. Backgrounds, window colors fonts size and color. The whole app interface was customisable. It was tricky tho to get into the customizing mode but I got carried away too. Not a big add problem if I remember but now I only care for custom ring tones and the stock app does just that.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
The app that I suggested 'Handcent Next sms' did allow the customization as you described. I used to use it on my S4. Backgrounds, window colors fonts size and color. The whole app interface was customisable. It was tricky tho to get into the customizing mode but I got carried away too. Not a big add problem if I remember but now I only care for custom ring tones and the stock app does just that.

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much

Upvote 0
So I just switched carriers and upgraded my Galaxy s8+, which I really love, to this one. One of the features that I also really love seems to no longer be available. Did Android or Samsung do away with the text customization? It really bothers me that I can no longer do this.

I know this reply is a little late but you can still customize your wallpaper for individual contacts on the s10e. I know you've installed a different app for that so this is FYI for anyone who needs it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones