• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S2 ICS Gets hot with rapid battery drain

seems like this is not uncommon since ICS but no-one seems to have found the culprit or provided a guaranteed fix. Mine has just started doing it. Maybe twice in the last 2 weeks. Both times it got very hot and the battery use was high. I checked the battery usage and the first time roadsync had hammered it and today it was the stock email client. roadsync collects my exchange mail and the stock client only collects one pop3 account.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions based on these observations?

Reluctant to try a factory reset as other than this it has run faultlessly since the ICS upgrade.

I have run ICS for several months and have not had this happen, but I use an app called JuiceDefender to control the activities of background apps and stop them from draining the battery when in standby.

Mine heats up when using any browser. Tried stock, Dolphin HD and Quick.ICS browser. Havn't tried with other browsers yet... I find it quite alarming.

Mine heats up when making calls or playing games or browsing. Pretty much anything that is to be done on the phone. Even charging heats up the phone.

Battery draining is inconsistent though. One day, I got hardly 4 hrs from it, another day 16, then 17, then 6. All with similar kind of usage. On the 4hr and 16hr charges, I had used GPS as well whereas on 6hr and 17hr life, I didn't use GPS/Data Network.

I still have to find a way to get good battery life consistently. Wonder how it would work if I had to go out for a whole day.

Mine heats up when email exchange kind of gets stuck in a loop - not sure what's to blame but doesn't happen often. When it does happen, it gets very hot and a batterystats app i have tells me that the phone didn't 'deep sleep' for hours. I have to manually sync emails and calenders then all is well again (restarting or battery pulls don't fix the issue for me).

I'd check your email settings perhaps. I remember changing mine one day and it started happening straight away so worked it out from then on.

Emulators also heat it up a fair amount but i think that's normal.

Remember, it's a very thin phone so you'll likely feel every centigrade increase!

Mine heats up when I update/install apps, mind you most of the time they don't work anyway...

I was reluctant to try a factory reset but the problems were mounting up so I did. Nothing changed, it still gets hot and things don't work. I've even sent the handset back for repair through O2 but even though they say they found and fixed the fault it's doing exactly the same things as before.

Back
Top Bottom