• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 Battery Assistance

dizwod

Lurker
Oct 12, 2012
Hello,
I know there have prob been loads of posts on this.

I got my S3 the other day, awesome phone but concerned with the battery.

I have wifi, mobile data, bluetooth off. Screen brightness low and auto off. Power saving on. I have juice defender on and no facebook or anything like that.

Since i took the phone off charge this morning at 6 (2.75 hours ago) the battery has gone down to 90%. Having only sent a few texts within this time.

Is this normal battery life for the phone? As it will hardly last a day in the office (12 hours) if its the case.

Can anyone confirm any settings I may of missed and the best settings for juice defender (currently on aggressive)

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

There's a useful post here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/618583-truth-about-your-battery.html

I would uninstall JD for now, keep all your radios (especially WiFi)/synch/etc. enabled and look at your System Settings | Battery page to see what is suckin' the juice and configure the battery-hogging apps to be easier on power. Clicking on the large graph on that page will go to another page with essential stats (wake time, radio usage).

Additionally, since the phone is new, the battery meter may not be calibrated. To calibrate it, you wipe the battery stats when its fully charged, fully discharge it, then fully charge it powered on. I'm not sure if clearing stats requires root--I think it does but I wouldn't know as I've never not been rooted.

I haven't qualified this but I the drain from 100% to 90% does seem to go a lot more quickly than anywhere else (i.e. 90%-80%), so I wouldn't base future performance projection on that--let it run all day on battery (or down to 20%, whichever comes first) and see how it performs.

Lastly, signal strength is a major factor: if your signal strength is weak/low, your radio will consume more power.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the reply, looking at the battery the screen and cell standby are both on 42% I have disabled all apps which I wouldnt use.

Not sure how to get these lower. When I first got the phone I got it down to 0% and charged it over night. Maybe I need to do this a few times to get the battery sorted properly?

Signal is quite weak where I work (middle of nowhere) I do get signal but only 1 or 2 bars

Upvote 0
You won't get all numbers lower since they will always add up to 100% (it's a breakdown of the consumption only, not total battery capacity--i.e. of the 10% battery power consumed, cell standby used 42% of that).

I keep seeing people state that the numbers add up to 100%.
Screenshot_2012-10-12-10-20-33.png

You can see by my attachment that my total comes to 102. People have argued with me about this.
In my screen shot Maps is showing 22%. This would mean that Maps was running 22% of the 2h 3m 2s. Rounding off to 2h 3m means that Maps was running 27.06 minutes of the 2h 3m. If I am wrong just show me.

Upvote 0
I keep seeing people state that the numbers add up to 100%.
View attachment 41019

You can see by my attachment that my total comes to 102. People have argued with me about this.
In my screen shot Maps is showing 22%. This would mean that Maps was running 22% of the 2h 3m 2s. Rounding off to 2h 3m means that Maps was running 27.06 minutes of the 2h 3m. If I am wrong just show me.

I believe the number you see for each app is what percent of the battery use was attributed to that app. Why they add up to more than 100 I don't know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones