• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safe system apps to remove?

LakersDroid

Android Expert
Can someone give me a list of system apps that can safely be removed without breaking stuff on the phone?

Safe to remove the browser.apk? If you already using another browser?
Gmail? Email? Talk?

Can someone give me a list of system apps that can safely be removed without breaking stuff on the phone?

Safe to remove the browser.apk? If you already using another browser?
Gmail? Email? Talk?

browser, talk, and gmail is safe to remove...
not sure about email as it might be relevent to your account info for other apps...

Honestly you can delete a good amount. I delete tons...but I always recommend a nandroid beforehand. What happened to me this morning was at 6:30 without my coffee, I decided to click and delete apps. Little did i know, I THOUGHT I clicked on one app, but accidentally clicked another one...Needless to say, phone went crazy. So yeah, back up before deleting system apps

The system apk's that I always remove are email, exchange services, vpn dialogs, face unlock, file manager and a few others that I can't think of right now. I used to have a script from the Triumph days that I can't find that would remove them for me.

I've removed gmail and talk as I don't use those. I only have gmail acccount so that I could sign in to google play store, that's it. I mainly use my yahoo account. So far i haven't noticed any ill effects from removing those from system/app.

I noticed that in system/app there's this talkback.apk. Is that related to talk.apk? and if that's okay to be removed too?

Im running cyanogenmod 10.1 4.2.2 from dastin. Loving it and I want to remove anything that I don't use and keep the system as minimalistic as possible.

EDIT: So far I've removed Gmail, Talk, Browser, Sound Search for Google Play, and Terminal Emulator from system/app.

Rom is running fine without those, which I don't use/need.

Back
Top Bottom