• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung 64gb MicroSDHX Pro - Speeds

rorkstar

Lurker
Hi all,

New here, but not new to Android. I just recently purchased a Note 3 phone and a Samsung 64GB Pro Series Micro SD card. I've tried multiple ways to add files to the card (through the phone USB as a Media Device, through the adapter and card reader) but I'm still getting less than 1 MB write transfer speed. Seeing as I want to add a lot of music to the card, what's the best method to get the best transfer speed?

My computer supports USB 3.0, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

Hi all,

New here, but not new to Android. I just recently purchased a Note 3 phone and a Samsung 64GB Pro Series Micro SD card. I've tried multiple ways to add files to the card (through the phone USB as a Media Device, through the adapter and card reader) but I'm still getting less than 1 MB write transfer speed. Seeing as I want to add a lot of music to the card, what's the best method to get the best transfer speed?

My computer supports USB 3.0, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

I can actually identify with the slow transfer rate. I've actually noticed that with both my Note 2 and Note 3. In the past, I'd copy and paste the entire music folder and just leave the phone until all the files were transferred.

What I noticed with the Note 2 and Note 3 is it takes much longer to do that (and I actually run into more errors) than I had experienced in the past.

My only solution has been to copy and paste 2-3 artist folders at a time (including sub-folders with different albums). It may seem more time consuming, but I've found that it ends up being much faster in the long run.

I know that doesn't answer your question with regards to transfer speeds, which I unfortunately don't have an answer for, but as far as time consuming activities...the method I've adopted seems to work extremely well.

I can actually identify with the slow transfer rate. I've actually noticed that with both my Note 2 and Note 3. In the past, I'd copy and paste the entire music folder and just leave the phone until all the files were transferred.

What I noticed with the Note 2 and Note 3 is it takes much longer to do that (and I actually run into more errors) than I had experienced in the past.

My only solution has been to copy and paste 2-3 artist folders at a time (including sub-folders with different albums). It may seem more time consuming, but I've found that it ends up being much faster in the long run.

I know that doesn't answer your question with regards to transfer speeds, which I unfortunately don't have an answer for, but as far as time consuming activities...the method I've adopted seems to work extremely well.

I tried this method, seems to be going faster, thank you!

I also think I may have a faulty card. There's been a few times over the past week that it said "SD card is blank or unsupported file system." I've had to reformat it a couple of times within the phone and it still happens. I'm not sure what's going on.

I tried this method, seems to be going faster, thank you!

I also think I may have a faulty card. There's been a few times over the past week that it said "SD card is blank or unsupported file system." I've had to reformat it a couple of times within the phone and it still happens. I'm not sure what's going on.

Glad that worked I couldn't tell you the technical reason it works faster, but just does.

I have had similar prompts not identifying the sd card, but my solution has always been to just pull the card, make sure the contacts were clean and then re-mount. It usually happened on my Note 8 more often. How often does it come up? If often, I'd also have the phone's micro sd checked to make sure it's not that. Of course, that is if it isn't the micro sd itself.

1) Counterfeit cards made with smaller memory chips will clear if you exceed the storage capacity of the memory chip. If the card is near the capacity of the chip, and you have an app storing data on the card, the problem can appear to be random.

There are some programs that will read the internal chips and tell you what size they are.

2) Get a USB 3.0 card reader, plug the card into the computer and transfer the files. You won't get the advertised speeds (that's the speed of the memory chip, not the speed of the card at the terminals), but it will be faster.

I have an sdxc sandisk that has passed through a htc thunderbolt, 5 galaxy s3's, and now my galaxy note and it crashed and is corrupted. I cannot determine what made it crash. However, the disk had 10gb filled of the 59gb on capacity.

Everything was fine until I connected Google + to the phone and pictures disappeared and corrupted the disk.

I cannot format, chkdsk /f, chkdsk /repair, crc corrupt repair, fix exfat table in windows 7, format on phone or save anything to the disk anymore. Only thing can do is delete data.

Downloaded Sandisk data manager, no luck. Downloaded driver update and no luck. Downloaded Remo disk recover and no luck.

I would take a slow speed over a crash any minute.

I am open to a suggestion viable to fixing the bad crc and using the disk.

Thanks, in advance.

Contact SanDisk. First, they're guaranteed for life, so they'll replace it. Second, if the controller crashed, the data is still on the memory chip, so they can probably read it. Whether they would or not is up to them. (But Seagate, another company I deal with because of their excellent service, did do something of the sort when they messed up the BIOS of a whole line of drives.) It can't hurt to ask if they'd try to recover your data and put it on the replacement card.

1) Counterfeit cards made with smaller memory chips will clear if you exceed the storage capacity of the memory chip. If the card is near the capacity of the chip, and you have an app storing data on the card, the problem can appear to be random.

There are some programs that will read the internal chips and tell you what size they are.

2) Get a USB 3.0 card reader, plug the card into the computer and transfer the files. You won't get the advertised speeds (that's the speed of the memory chip, not the speed of the card at the terminals), but it will be faster.

I only used about 30 out of the 64gb (59gb?), so it wasn't near capacity.

I used both my phone to transfer files as well as an external card reader. Both were extremely slow.

I picked up a Sandisk Extreme 64gb and it seems to be MUCH faster in terms of speed. So my guess is maybe the Samsung card was faulty or counterfeit? I had to reformat it about 3-4 times over the past week and I was getting tired of doing it.

I only used about 30 out of the 64gb (59gb?), so it wasn't near capacity.
It wasn't near the capacity of the label. But if someone reprogrammed a 32GB card to claim it's 64GB, as soon as you try to put over 32GB on it, it clears. Totally wipes the memory chip.

I picked up a Sandisk Extreme 64gb and it seems to be MUCH faster in terms of speed. So my guess is maybe the Samsung card was faulty or counterfeit?
That's one reason I only buy SanDisk. In either of those cases, SanDisk will replace the card. Their cards havce a very simple lifetime guarantee - if it doesn't work (and you didn't break it), they'll replace it. (Which is why I'm not even asking them to replace a card I broke a corner off. It still works, but it's my fault, so ...)

And the Extreme cards are pretty fast. I have a 32GB Extreme in my phone now. I could use a 128, but priorities.

Not by looking at the card. You can get a 45mp picture of the original and print it 2400X2400 dpi. It would be impossible to tell that it's not the real thing that way.

You need software that looks at the memory chip inside the card and sees what size it is. SD Insight could give it away. If the manufacture date is ridiculous, like in 1970, it's fake. A1 SD Bench might find problems with it. I don't have anything here to give you the name of, but there are some test programs that can do a quick write/read test per memory location, and you can set them to do, in this case, 64GB. If they blow at 32GB, you know you have a "bad" card.

The card packaging sometimes gives away a counterfeit card. My first Samsung card didn't have any silver foil on the package and it was a fake, Ordered one from a different seller it came with the silver foil on the packaging and worked fine.

Is there a way to detect counterfeit cards? I took a picture of the front/back here

It is easy to nit pick when given the chance. This is by no means any type of "smoking gun". If you had the packaging with the proposed model number on it, it would help as a reference to work from.

It appears, from many of the product images online, that the font color should be gray and the 64GB label appears in bright white coloring with a slightly different font face.
Comparing with your photos, the spacing for the word Samsung looks a little different and the 'I' might have slightly different serifs on it?
Could be the angle but it looks like the writing on your card is not as centered on the middle of the unit? http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_microsdxc_pro_series_review_mbmgcgb

The model number off of the back MMB3R08BUACA-GE comes up with only one hit on a Chinese forum in a thread with a topic regarding fake cards (bad Google translate).
MMB3R08GUACA-GE is an 8GB (Class 2) card, and there are cards with 16 and 32 GB denominations with model numbers that are reflected in the same number slot. MMB3R appears to maybe be a generic or bulk model number - could be fake altogether?

On the real 32/64 GB Pro Series cards' product images that I can find, the model (different number), code, and country of origin on the back are oriented in the other direction with respect to the connectors.

If I had to guess I'd think you have a cheap 8GB card re-badged as a 64GB card and re-flashed to show that it can handle over 31.1GB or whatever amount you got up to?

It is easy to nit pick when given the chance. This is by no means any type of "smoking gun". If you had the packaging with the proposed model number on it, it would help as a reference to work from.

It appears, from many of the product images online, that the font color should be gray and the 64GB label appears in bright white coloring with a slightly different font face.
Comparing with your photos, the spacing for the word Samsung looks a little different and the 'I' might have slightly different serifs on it?
Could be the angle but it looks like the writing on your card is not as centered on the middle of the unit? Samsung microSDXC Pro Series Review (MB-MGCGB) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

The model number off of the back MMB3R08BUACA-GE comes up with only one hit on a Chinese forum in a thread with a topic regarding fake cards (bad Google translate).
MMB3R08GUACA-GE is an 8GB (Class 2) card, and there are cards with 16 and 32 GB denominations with model numbers that are reflected in the same number slot. MMB3R appears to maybe be a generic or bulk model number - could be fake altogether?

On the real 32/64 GB Pro Series cards' product images that I can find, the model (different number), code, and country of origin on the back are oriented in the other direction with respect to the connectors.

If I had to guess I'd think you have a cheap 8GB card re-badged as a 64GB card and re-flashed to show that it can handle over 31.1GB or whatever amount you got up to?

I appreciate the insight, thank you! Returned the card to Amazon and let them know that it's probably a counterfeit. Hopefully they can review it further.

3rd party, fulfilled by Amazon. I've learned my lesson.

Damn...yeah, when it comes to microSD's, I only trust when it is fulfilled directly (or by the actual manufacturer via Amazon). Amazon has a great buyer's protection policy though (at least, in my experience), so that is at least a good thing for you.

Assuming Amazon rules in your favor and gets your money back, Sony's 64gb microSDXC is on sale for $39.99
Amazon.com: Sony 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card: Computers & Accessories

Back
Top Bottom