• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Ring SPH-M840 keeps crashing and rebooting

jlwm8609

Lurker
Greetings!

I have a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Ring SPH-M840. It replaced my first Galaxy Ring, which had a system crash under warranty after nearly 6 months of use. The replacement phone is exhibiting much of the same behavior that the old phone was exhibiting for a few months before the system crashed. Both the new phone and the old phone are unrooted. Apps and processes will crash often, and I'll have to reboot the phone for the processes and/or apps to resume. Sometimes, the phone will reboot by itself. The phone can be just sitting on the table and it will reboot. Other times, I may be doing something like trying to snap a photo or checking e-mail or texting when the phone will reboot. These reboots can happen up to 3-5 times a day. Sometimes after these reboots, the battery indicator will drop steeply. During one reboot today, the battery percentage indicator went from 48% before the reboot to 17% after the reboot.

I would hate to have to deal with a system crash again. Is anyone else having similar problems with your Galaxy Ring? If so, how were you able to resolve the issue short of switching to a completely different phone? I thought the first Galaxy Ring I had might've just been defective. With this second phone acting the same way, I think this may be an issue with Samsung Galaxy Ring phones as a whole.

-Joseph

1) Are you still using the same battery? If the battery has a specific defect, it could cause the reboot problem.

2) The replacement should have a warranty period. If it's still within that time, ask for another replacement.

1) Are you still using the same battery? If the battery has a specific defect, it could cause the reboot problem.

2) The replacement should have a warranty period. If it's still within that time, ask for another replacement.

1. I'm using a different battery.

2. I believe that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks!:)

Dang! Sorry to hear that. I'm experiencing the same issues. I have been for almost the whole time I've had the phone. Even before I rooted it. I was on the phone w/ a tech rep at Virgin the other day for an unrelated issue and I mentioned this. She told me that I am eligible for a replacement until October. I didn't know that this may lead to a system-wide crash. Should I go ahead and get a replacement? If I do, should I unroot the phone?

Dang! Sorry to hear that. I'm experiencing the same issues. I have been for almost the whole time I've had the phone. Even before I rooted it. I was on the phone w/ a tech rep at Virgin the other day for an unrelated issue and I mentioned this. She told me that I am eligible for a replacement until October. I didn't know that this may lead to a system-wide crash. Should I go ahead and get a replacement? If I do, should I unroot the phone?

I would unroot the phone just to be safe. Once you send the old phone back to Virgin, they're most likely going to examine it. If they see it's rooted, they might declare your warranty void and make you pay for the replacement phone.

When the rep told you that you're eligible for a replacement, did she mention whether it would be another Galaxy Ring or a different model?

I would unroot the phone just to be safe. Once you send the old phone back to Virgin, they're most likely going to examine it. If they see it's rooted, they might declare your warranty void and make you pay for the replacement phone.

When the rep told you that you're eligible for a replacement, did she mention whether it would be another Galaxy Ring or a different model?

I think she did mention that it would be the Galaxy Ring if I recall. Not real sure, though. I had already been on the phone for longer than I wanted to going through some troubleshooting steps that I had already done (hard reset, ect).

Greetings!

I have a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Ring SPH-M840. It replaced my first Galaxy Ring, which had a system crash under warranty after nearly 6 months of use. The replacement phone is exhibiting much of the same behavior that the old phone was exhibiting for a few months before the system crashed. Both the new phone and the old phone are unrooted. Apps and processes will crash often, and I'll have to reboot the phone for the processes and/or apps to resume. Sometimes, the phone will reboot by itself. The phone can be just sitting on the table and it will reboot. Other times, I may be doing something like trying to snap a photo or checking e-mail or texting when the phone will reboot. These reboots can happen up to 3-5 times a day. Sometimes after these reboots, the battery indicator will drop steeply. During one reboot today, the battery percentage indicator went from 48% before the reboot to 17% after the reboot.

I would hate to have to deal with a system crash again. Is anyone else having similar problems with your Galaxy Ring? If so, how were you able to resolve the issue short of switching to a completely different phone? I thought the first Galaxy Ring I had might've just been defective. With this second phone acting the same way, I think this may be an issue with Samsung Galaxy Ring phones as a whole.

-Joseph
I have had the same problem with all 3 that I have owned. It seems to not reboot or crash at all when you keep your apps closed out when you're actually done with it.

About a month ago, my phone was rebooting evertime the screen timed out. Talk about a really big pain in the ass. Now.. completely fine. Like it just snapped out of it one day.

But as far as getting another replacement I wouldn't bother, I believe theyre all the same. All 3 of mine have been like this. I think it literally is just a defective phone cause I even used different batteries in all 3. Thats all I can tell you. Nice to know this is a common occurrence with this model.

I have had the same problem with all 3 that I have owned. It seems to not reboot or crash at all when you keep your apps closed out when you're actually done with it.

About a month ago, my phone was rebooting evertime the screen timed out. Talk about a really big pain in the ass. Now.. completely fine. Like it just snapped out of it one day.

But as far as getting another replacement I wouldn't bother, I believe theyre all the same. All 3 of mine have been like this. I think it literally is just a defective phone cause I even used different batteries in all 3. Thats all I can tell you. Nice to know this is a common occurrence with this model.

I'm glad that you're having better luck with your Galaxy Ring than I am. Unfortunately, I don't think your solution would work for me. I've had it reboot when I keep my apps closed after I'm done using them. I found that if I clear app caches, and power down, remove the battery, reinsert the battery after 2-3 minutes and power up, the phone will perform better, but that only lasts for a day or so before it's back to its temperamental ways.

I've read Galaxy Ring reviews on VM's site and it has a higher frequency of 1 star reviews and non-recommendations than most of their other phones. In fact, it's the 3rd lowest rated Android in their current lineup. Like you said, it appears the Galaxy Ring line is defective as a whole instead of us just getting some faulty units. Given the trouble this phone is causing, I don't want another Galaxy Ring. Since it looks like VM only replaces in-warranty claims with another of the same model, perhaps they'll give me a trade-in credit on the current phone toward another model?

I have had the Galaxy Ring for almost 60 days. Since the beginning apps and programs would crash frequently. The phone would reboot itself first every now and again. Then later it became often like everyday many times a day. The reboots and crashes take most of the juice out of the battery at least half power goes after restart every time. All this came to a crashing end. Last week it turned itself off and never came back on. I cant afford a new phone right now. So, I was gonna have to use the voicemail as a message center until next month. And then the other shoe drops. Someone reset my voicemail, which means I cant access it from anywhere but my phone. Really uuuhgggh.

Luckily, this piece of crap is so poorly made that mines was still covered under original manufacturer warranty and virgin has agreed to replace for free. Great I got another phone that is sure to have a sudden death in the near future.

So, I know it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but I decided that I'd just ask here instead of posting a new topic.

I've decided to unroot the Galaxy Ring and try to turn it in for a new model. I won't be using the phone (I'm giving it to my gf) so there will be no use to re-root it. I just wanted a new, fresh model to give to her, even though the one I have now is in decent condition (no scratches/cracks).

I've seen an option in the SuperSU app to unroot, but I read somewhere that it doesn't completely unroot your phone.

I was wondering the best way to go about unrooting my phone and factory resetting it so I can return the phone as it would be when I first got it.

I too am having the same problem with my galaxy ring and this is my third replacement. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I talked to a tech at virgin mobile she said it could have been due to a over battery charge. (the maximum time to have your phone charge is 4 hours) I would usually have my phone charge over night. So I stopped doing that and that did seem to work for about a week after getting my third replacement phone. However now it is rebooting every five minutes. I was talking to my boss on my phone but got disconnected because it kept rebooting. I'm not sure what the problem is anymore. It's not a virus because I have a app to block that, maybe it's just a defect in the phone because I now see i'm not the only one with this problem:(

Greetings!

-Joseph

I have a galaxy ring and it seemed great. After having it for a few months I rooted it with frama root so that i could install all my games to the extsd using apps2sd. this is when things went so wrong for the phone. Apps would crash all the time while using them or even in the background. Google play store would stop working until a cleaned all the cache. The phone would take five minutes to startup and would to reboot whenever it wanted to. after living with the hellish phone fore a few months and constantly fixing it buy removing the battery all the time, i unrooted it with super user and factory reset it. everything seems stable for a month or so now. i have just not installed all the games to it now, leaving about 800mb open. now that it used to be rooted i cannot update it to the newest firmware because it made my binary custom. i was looking forward to an update that would make the phone better but it looks like i wont get it now. i would steer way clear of this phone

Back
Top Bottom