• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help samsung galaxy s big problem with pattern code and gmail

I just got my samsung galaxy s and i set an unlock pattern, had been using it all day and then suddenly forgot it. i reach the 'too many wrong attempts' limit and it then started asking me for my Gmail and Password, but i didnt have one at that time, so i didnt know what to do. I tried everything i had read on google and none of it had worked, the hard reset, the 'Null' password, factory resets, nothing. So i was just mucking around with it and went into emergency call, i typed in 000 and hung up straight away, i somehow had gotten back into my phone, so i went into my settings and removed the 'require pattern' setting and on my phone i made myself a gmail account because it was still asking me for it every time my phone was idle, so i made an account and put that in, it now works fine and doesnt ask me for a pattern or a gmail account/password anymore.

Upvote 0
I almost didn't try this, because I figured I'd set up the account on my Galaxy as "gmail.com" - but it worked. I'm very thankful too Zoh - cheers mate!

For anyone else who is struggling with this -

1) try your Google account username/email as @gmail.com and as @googlemail.com

2) DO NOT hard reset if you don't have to (especially if you have got data on there you want to keep!)

3) NO MATTER HOW SILLY A SOLUTION SOUNDS - TRY IT.

Best of luck to you all.

I tried a bunch of things and couldn't get it to work, but this did work. I logged into my google account and checked at the top right what the gmail account was (I usually sign into my google account through a hotmail account username). After trying the email@gmail.com, the phone asked me to enter a new pattern, thus unlocking the phone. I'm having problem with some of my widgets, but I'm not sure which of things I tried did that to it.

BTW: When I tried signing in with my hotmail username, it didn't say incorrect username/password, it just said "checking" and stayed that way for half an hour.

Thanks a lot!
Thanks given to both posters: Zoe and markbyrne.
Thanks to everyone else for help too.

Upvote 0
Hi I'm new,

I had a similar problem the on the second day I owned the phone. After searching and searching I was unable to find a way to fix the problem and ended up having to do a hard reset and restore it to factory. Here are the instructions if you wish to go down that path.

Shut your Android Galaxy S down (Power off) or remove Battery.
Now press Volume up, Home and Power together.
If the Samsung Symbol is comming up leave the Home Button.
Then there is a boot Menu
Volume Up and Down to Navigate , Home to select the choosen option
Select erase data or something like it
then select reboot after data been deleted and the phone will go back to factory setting
now you have start app downloads all over again

I have located another possible answer although I have not (touch wood) had to try and do this myself it may work for you.

Issue 10077 - android - Google "ignore dots" feature not handled properly for "too many pattern attempts" fallback screen unlock - Project Hosting on Google Code

let me know how you go.

i spent hours on phone and internet and tried so many ways to unlock my phone from pattern lock bullshit and really this was the only usefull thing that actually worked. Dont waiste ya time with gmail password reseting or anything like it or sending it away and paying someone else to do this exact same thing. Follow the above instructions correctly and i promise it works but it will reset your phone to like when ya first got it with nothing on it but atleast you can use it again and no more frustration cuz i really dont have any patience for shit like this lol.

thanks heaps :)bjb1980
Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S samsung galaxy s big problem with pattern code and gmail

Upvote 0
Got the latest update (2.3.6) a couple of weeks ago and everthing was fine (except for the keyboard crashing is still not fixed): but today I tried to check the security settings and after entering the old pattern it just went back to the location and security settings page.
Since then, every time I try to go to the setup screen lock page, and select where it now says "none" then it just falls back to the location and security page.
I restarted the phone, but same thing, I can no longer set a pattern.

Other than that the phone works including gmail and the market.

Not that I think it matters, but I had a watchdog hard restart this morning. Not the 1st, happens maybe about once a month or so.

I hate to factory it, but also dread the pocket dials if I leave it.

Upvote 0
Ok...The solution to unlocking one's phone after attempting too many patterns cost me $34 to get from an online technician and I thought I would share it with everyone coz it frustrated the hell out of me and I nearly just chucked the damn phone. This feature should be changed coz it is useless the way it is. Anyways here is the solution.....it will cause your phone's internal memory to be reformatted but I didn't care coz it got it back to working condition.....AND IT WORKS!!!!:D

To complete a Factory Reset follow these directions:
1. Remove the battery.
2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
3. Hold down the Volume UP and Home buttons then press the Power button for four seconds. Release the power button but DO NOT release the other buttons.
4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
6. Select Clear Storage or Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
7. Confirm your choice by pressing the power button or Home button.
8. Now confirm your choice.
9. When the device reboots, follow the on screen instructions to setup your new device.

Upvote 0
i let my friend use my phone. which of course, he end up locking. but instead of coming to me for the password he continues on putting the wrong and it ends up going to the " Too many pattern attempts" page. i tried to a new goggle account but its not working!!!!!! which is driving me insane!!!!!!!!! DX i dont remember my gmail or my password. plzzzz someone give me the best way to unlock my phone from this "too many pattern attempts" page!!!!!!!:(

Upvote 0
Hi I'm new,

I had a similar problem the on the second day I owned the phone. After searching and searching I was unable to find a way to fix the problem and ended up having to do a hard reset and restore it to factory. Here are the instructions if you wish to go down that path.

Shut your Android Galaxy S down (Power off) or remove Battery.
Now press Volume up, Home and Power together.
If the Samsung Symbol is comming up leave the Home Button.
Then there is a boot Menu
Volume Up and Down to Navigate , Home to select the choosen option

I have located another possible answer although I have not (touch wood) had to try and do this myself it may work for you.

Link to <Issue 10077> removed, please, find it in the original post

let me know how you go.

Hi bjb1980, thank you a lots, the Issue 10077 referred above was the problem in my case.
Summary: assuming that my 'usually used' gmail account is newman005 (resulting in gmail address newman005@gmail.com). I don't remember already, but maybe that in some ancient times, the account was in fact created as newman.005@gmail.com (I cannot reveal this info already). For gmail login procedure and for sending mails from the external mail services, this does not matter, so that logging with both newman005 and newman.005 is possible and also sending mails to newman005@gmail.com and to newman.005@gmail.com works perfectly (I can find two test mails sent to these two addresses in my mailbox). But - gmail logon procedure (verification after being locked out with failed gestures) used by Android 2.3.3 on my Galaxy S does not work the same smart way. After logging into gmail, I could see my account name as newman.005@gmail.com. Then, after using newman.005@gmail.com instead of newman005@gmail.com (with valid gmail account password), the phone was UNLOCKED finally! Thanks a tons!

Upvote 0
Hey man GUESS WHAT I GOT THE ANSWER TO THAT CRAZY PROBLEM. Its so lame so lame and you wouldn't even believe it, honestly it was like i just gave it a try and it worked.

AGAIN ITS the lamest thing you could ever think of, anyway heres how it goes,

1) Log in to your google account on your pc, the same account you registered for your phone

2) After logging in look at the top right corner of your inbox/email page, it would say your google username. Like say if you name is John, and you have a google id thats registered to your galaxy s as , john123@gmail.com. Now this google id on the top right corner of the page would be displayed as john123@googlemail.com

3) Type in the google id, thats visible on the right hand top corner of your page (like john123@googlemail.com) into your galaxy s handset locked page, and type in the password.

TADA AND YOUR ON TO THE NEW SCREEN TELLING YOU TO PUT IN ANOTHER PATTERN.

Thanks

zohs247 who posted it here
Note: If not work on 1st try, turn off phone then remove your SIM then try sigin in to your mobile again,or wait for like 5-10mins.before sign in... Mine got fixed with this hope this help!!
Goodluck on your phone.

Upvote 0
hi
To unlock the phone screen when it is pattern locked.

simply call your mobile from other phone and receive the calll on your phone, while on call press the curved arrow button (above the home button) on samsung galaxy, it will take you to home screen. then press the left top(menu) button and select the seettings option and then select the security option and then disable the pattern. All this has to be done with the active call. this will solve the problem and then you can terminate the call.
hope this will solve the problem.
best luck[/QUOT

- Thank you so much Gomalian! I tried so many ways but only your advise worked out so fine. God bless a genius like you and God bless all the other geniuses out there who discovered this solution.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but since I just went though this, i'm sure someone else will. I posted this on another forum:

I just went through the process of locking my phone because I forgot my pattern. I tried to unlock using my gmail account information and it was not working, but I finally figured out what the problem was and was able to unlock. I'm wondering if this has caused problems for others.

A few months back I started using the Google two-step authentication. Essentially what this does is employ the use of verficiation codes for certain applications. Some applications cannot use the verification codes, so Google allows you to create application specific passwords for those applications. Gmail on an android phone is one of those applications.

The application specific passwords are a string of 16 (i believe) random characters. I had forgotten about this completely and kept attempting to use my real gmail account password. Once I realized that I was using the wrong password, I went to the following page:

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens

And I revoked the password for my phone and then generated a new password. I was then able to unlock my phone. Once you unlock your phone, you have to use the same password to authenticate your phone back to your google account. I did that and was then asked to create a new pattern.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: jobson1
Upvote 0
I started getting the login / sign in error when I changed sim cards whilst travelling to Europe and Hong Kong. So essentially the phone works fine but does not sync to my gmail or use internet very well. I would get a google-acct signin error often in my alerts.
After readng all the threads, i tried this one thing and viola - it worked.
When you get your samsung and set it up the first time, you would have entered your google/gmail email login and used a password to setup for the first time - what you may have done is use the Swype keypad input method (well, I had unknowingly done so) and hence wen u change ur input mthod default to samsung or qwerty later on - the login password does not work.

I changed my input method and typed the same password I had been trying for days and it actually worked. Then I switched back to samsung keypad as am not comfortable with the swype keypad.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but since I just went though this, i'm sure someone else will. I posted this on another forum:

I just went through the process of locking my phone because I forgot my pattern. I tried to unlock using my gmail account information and it was not working, but I finally figured out what the problem was and was able to unlock. I'm wondering if this has caused problems for others.

A few months back I started using the Google two-step authentication. Essentially what this does is employ the use of verficiation codes for certain applications. Some applications cannot use the verification codes, so Google allows you to create application specific passwords for those applications. Gmail on an android phone is one of those applications.

The application specific passwords are a string of 16 (i believe) random characters. I had forgotten about this completely and kept attempting to use my real gmail account password. Once I realized that I was using the wrong password, I went to the following page:

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens

And I revoked the password for my phone and then generated a new password. I was then able to unlock my phone. Once you unlock your phone, you have to use the same password to authenticate your phone back to your google account. I did that and was then asked to create a new pattern.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you tscoccol,

this helped solve my issue. I almost forgot about the application specific password recently launched and wherein i've registered to. Thanks once again or i would had to reset the complete phone losing all the apps and data.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys!! mY SAMSUNG GALAXY locked me out from to many pattern attempts and i cant remember my gmail im so upset, i figured out how to get onto the reboot page not sure what to press after that i pressed factory data thing but it just comes up with an (!)and little android figure and still comes up with the 'unlock pattern''
what do i do?? , if it does not work is there any other options ?? can someone guide me through this please help ? :( thanks, Chantelle x

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones