• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC Evo 3D vs Motorola Photon 4G - A Comparison

The largest deciding factor to me in choosing between the Evo3D and SGSII has always been display. It comes down to qHD-LCD and Super AMOLED Plus to me.

So, I went back to my local Verizon store again yesterday to compare the Droid Charge Super AMOLED Plus to the Droid X2 qHD-LCD...

qHD screen on the Droid X2 is a pentile qHD display.

We expect the Sharp qHD on the 3vo to be rgb qHD.

I don't think you're going to be happy with anything but the SAMOLED+ screen, you've got your heart set on it, and that's ok.

I just don't think you've compared what you think you did where the 3vo is concerned.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Ohh, no. I'd totally be happy with a different type of qHD-LCD that could give the same vivid color & contrast ratio of an sAMOLED+ Then I'd be getting a higher resolution & a higher quality display. Win/Win scenario.

I said in another thread; I prefer the HTC phones actually as far as build quality and customer service (clearly) go. However I really like TouchWiz & don't like the Sense launcher at all. I could always use LauncherPro, but then I have the SA+ screen issue. Which for me is such a huge factor! Probably the largest deciding point for me, personally.

I'd love to see some more competition with the Samsung screens. It just doesn't seem like, in my opinion, anyone has come close to that "wow" factor the sAMOLED(+) tend to have on people. Heck, they had on me!

Again, these are just my personal opinions and nobody should take them for anything more than that.

Upvote 0
Until we see the Sharp display, we won't know - I'd expect going in for the OLED type to have better contrast. My position on why this may remain a subjective choice for a while is clearly on record, I won't repeat it. Nothing wrong with having a strong display preference, and both sides feel strongly their choice is the correct one - nothing wrong with that. It's a display, no tech specs can or should change a person's preferences - it's your phone, you'll have to live with looking at it, get the one you're comfortable with.

Can't stress enough my opinion that people should get the phone that makes them happy personally. That's the #1 spec imo. ;)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Until we see the Sharp display, we won't know - I'd expect going in for the OLED type to have better contrast. My position on why this may remain a subjective choice for a while is clearly on record, I won't repeat it. Nothing wrong with having a strong display preference, and both sides feel strongly their choice is the correct one - nothing wrong with that. It's a display, no tech specs can or should change a person's preferences - it's your phone, you'll have to live with looking at it, get the one you're comfortable with.

Can't stress enough my opinion that people should get the phone that makes them happy personally. That's the #1 spec imo. ;)

I disagree. People should try to find happiness elsewhere, not in phones. :p

... just giving you a hard time, EarlyMon! :D

Upvote 0
so in a nutshell...

SAMOLED+ - More vibrant/contrast in appearance
qHD SLCD - higher res

Is that basically the crux of it? Which screen type commands higher dpi? sounds as though the oled, but then i would suspect the higher res one. doesn't the 'retina display' defy the higher res logic though?

for me there is clearly a difference in amoled color space and that of lcd in appearance. amoled to me has always look bluer, but I kinda prefer a cooler hue and cooler temp panel anyway, so this works for me.

Upvote 0
On pixel density - http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/330462-higher-rez-screens-why-not.html#post2653285

On comparing two other model phone displays - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/110482-evo-4g-vs-epic-4g-25.html#post2146012

On the danger of making blanket comparison statements - http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/274897-samoled-vs-slcd-vs-qhd-vs-retina-display.html

On what the problem is - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/303494-how-does-qhd-compare-super-amoled.html#post2536229

SLCD - despite the blogs and all the "super" nonsense - is a brand of LCD supply. The Evo 3D doesn't use an SLCD panel, it uses one made by Sharp. The technologies are different for these suppliers, so there will be differences in color ranges, color tendencies and viewing angles.

SAMOLED+ --- deeper blacks, tendency to black crush, tendency to oversaturate

Sharp LCD --- tendency to not oversaturate or black crush, full weaknesses won't be known until we see them in our market (Sharp has been making Android phones not available in the US/Europe for some time), but assured it will have weaknesses

qHD is just a resolution spec - exists now on LCDs, highly likely will exist in near future on SAMOLED+.

We all see correct color properly - it looks like the real world. We all see wrong colors differently, so until we get correct color, choosing either is subjective and must be made by the individual - there's no right or wrong answer.

Hope this helps.

PS - Blogs today claim that LCDs come in the various forms of: LCD, Super LCD aka SLCD, and TFT-LCD. That's a display of maximum ignorance on their part, and they're successfully added FUD to the consumer equation. All LCDs you've seen since beyond early calculators are TFT-LCDs. Super TFT came out in '96 and is better known as IPS (Hitachi and LG TVs, Apple displays). SLCD is a company made up of Samsung and Sony, their panels range in quality types, they're not all the same, and appear in Samsung HDTVs, Sony Bravia HDTVs, and many phones.

The blog FUD has left people thinking that comparing S/AMOLED/+ vs SLCD is Samsung vs. Other - truth is, those are comparisons of different Samsung technologies.

Introduction of more Sharp panels into our market will be interesting -- they could be worse, same or better than SLCD panels we've seen: too early to tell. (LG Optimus 3D uses Sharp methods for 3D - could be a Sharp 800x480 panel or could be an LG panel using tech licensed from Sharp - dunno for certain.)

Upvote 0
I have a Sammy Galaxy S Captivate now and I really desire the SGSII, I just wish it was more mainstream to have a phone of that size. I mean, here's how I see it: 3.5" is too small to be anything I'll ever want, 3.75" is a little too small but still good, 4" is just right, 4.25" is a little too big but still good, 4.5" is too big to be anything I'll ever want.

Upvote 0
SLCD - despite the blogs and all the "super" nonsense - is a brand of LCD supply. The Evo 3D doesn't use an SLCD panel, it uses one made by Sharp.
PS - Blogs today claim that LCDs come in the various forms of: LCD, Super LCD aka SLCD, and TFT-LCD.

Other than the CTIA video, is there another source that says the Evo 3D is using a Sharp panel? HTC lists the Evo 3D display on their website as "4.3" inch Super LCD 540x960 QHD resolution 3D display".

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It was the HTC/Sprint unveiling at CTIA giving the Sharp props. Given that there is no such thing as Super LCD anywhere in the tech world, but is only a reality in the blogosphere, I'd say the HTC web site was in error - not at all the first time that's happened.

The internet sources often like to name S-LCD as Super LCD (total nonsense).

Sharp is the leading supplier for 3D mobile displays. The Evo 4G and other HTC phones use S-LCD displays.

Sharp is calling their ASV variant for mobiles as Super Mobile LCD now - everyone is trying to back-fill to the blogosphere.

http://www.sharp-world.com/products/device/about/lcd/mobility-asv/index.html

http://www.sharp-world.com/products/device/about/lcd/3d/index.html

Whatcha gonna do when you can't stop the internet? Adapt.

Upvote 0
Considerable improvement in text clarity would be first observable, better colors would be the second.
Wonderful! I've had somewhat of a change of heart because of, well... my Smartphone is straight dead. It died on me & I've been trying to get it repaired unsuccessfully for the past 37 days. I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for the S2 and the best alternative for me personally will probably be the Evo3D or the Nexus S. After hearing the Nexus S has been having serious reception issues I don't see how I could go wrong with the Evo3D. I've still got my pre-order & plan (at this point) on getting it on launch day. Albeit only after I've played with the demo unit for at least 30 minutes.

Plus, with HTC showing the type of customer service you all have been talking about here lately... it's hard to understand from a customer service perspective why would would pick any other manufacturer other than HTC. Just an observation...

EDIT: And please nobody take this the wrong way; but the Evo3D/HTC community on these boards is fantastic. I mean, REALLY good. Friendly, helpful, positive, and supportive. The fact that HTC has such dedicated and friendly fans in itself is a big selling point for me, personally.

I must say though, if you know me at all. You know I'll probably change my mind twelve times again before June 24th. :p

Upvote 0
It's normal to hear the bad on the net - using AF as the example, we're all about users helping users with problems or issues.

Truth is the top dog sellers are top dogs for a good reason. Can't see you going wrong with any of those you mention, personally. They're all part of the Android family.

If you get in a real bind, maybe pick up an NS4G, see how it works for you, then keep it or return it within 30 days if you want the Evo 3D more.

Upvote 0
It was the HTC/Sprint unveiling at CTIA giving the Sharp props. Given that there is no such thing as Super LCD anywhere in the tech world, but is only a reality in the blogosphere, I'd say the HTC web site was in error - not at all the first time that's happened.

Interesting links. I guess we'll have to wait until the teardown to be sure. I was just curious since last year HTC did swap out AMOLED for Sony Super LCD panels in a bunch of phones. Perhaps this panel is from the Sharp/Sony joint venture?

Upvote 0
Interesting links. I guess we'll have to wait until the teardown to be sure. I was just curious since last year HTC did swap out AMOLED for Sony Super LCD panels in a bunch of phones. Perhaps this panel is from the Sharp/Sony joint venture?

Actually, they swapped them out for the S-LCD panels - S-LCD is the corporate name of the Samsung/Sony LCD manufacturing conglomerate. The panels are Samsung tech, can be sold by Sony, and the whole "Super" thing was entirely made up on the intertubes. S-LCD mobile panels are likely a form of their lesser PVA LCD panels (as opposed to the ones you'd find in the top-of-line Sony Bravia or Samsung HDTV).

Here's a quick overview of the tech, with a link to S-LCD corp on the wiki to confirm my claims -

TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (jumps directly to PVA)

Upvote 0
Actually, they swapped them out for the S-LCD panels - S-LCD is the corporate name of the Samsung/Sony LCD manufacturing conglomerate. The panels are Samsung tech, can be sold by Sony, and the whole "Super" thing was entirely made up on the intertubes.

Well, the HTC press release did use the term "Super LCD display (SLCD)" so that's probably why everyone else used it. Only Sony's name was mentioned, nothing was said about Samsung (even if the JV was controlled by Samsung).

HTC makes Super LCD screens for Desire and Nexus One official -- Engadget

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Oh, yes, I recall those announcements clearly.

They may have come after the leaks that HTC were getting S-LCD panels from Sony.

And the JV isn't just controlled by Samsung - Samsung makes Sony's LCD panels, has for years. Sony was to partner with Sharp in building the largest LCD fab in Japan very recently, but Sony stepped out without ponying up the dough, leaving Sharp holding the bag after getting construction well under way.

So - odds of Sharp licensing their 3D autostereoscopy to anything with Sony's name on it? Never say never, but I'd say slim to none, imo.

BTW and FWIW on that super thing - I'm not alone on this - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...e-will-history-repeat-itself.html#post2640229

Upvote 0
And the JV isn't just controlled by Samsung - Samsung makes Sony's LCD panels, has for years. Sony was to partner with Sharp in building the largest LCD fab in Japan very recently, but Sony stepped out without ponying up the dough, leaving Sharp holding the bag after getting construction well under way.

Are you talking about SDP's Sakai plant? Or a new 11th generation plant that Sharp is building? If it's a new 11th generation plant, that is interesting news as I saw that Samsung was non-committal to building their 11th generation plant. I did read that Sony had backed off on their commitment on raising their stake in SDP to 34% but Sony still has a 7% stake in SDP.

Upvote 0
Reactions: hakujin
Upvote 0
I'm going for the evo 3D, I know it isn't getting as good of benchmarks, but it is pumping out more pixels, plus I don't like the physical home key on the S2, and I loved my original evo. But one thing, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the evo 3D a 1.5ghz cpu underclocked to 1.2, and the GS2 a 1ghz overclocked to 1.2 to match the sensation/3d? So if you were to crank the 3D up to it's actual cpu speed, or over that, it would be screaming.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones