• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung J5 broken screen, need data off phone

utepoot

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
Hello, everyone! Unfortunately a Samsung Galaxy J5 has been dropped, and the screen (while not cracked) has gone black and won't turn on. The phone itself seems to work, as we can hear the various notifications coming in. How can we safely and preferably with no cost, get the contacts and memos off of the phone? The wifi is turned on on the J5. I have taken out the memory card and SIM card and put into another phone already, we have the photos, but no contacts or memos. I have tried Samsung Sidesync, but it won't recognise the phone. I have searched and searched, but all the apps that you can download have bad reviews ie. Dr Fone, I don't want to pay for any crap that won't work or cause loss of data. I did connect the phone to both my PC and our TV via USB, but all the folders are empty...so I'm guessing the contacts and memos are in the phone's internal memory? How do I retrieve the contacts and memos?? Thanks for any help and advice.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones