• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Rugby Smart Root & Lag Help

Hi all.
I have a Samsung Rugby Smart SGH-I847 with root and my reason for rooting my device was because 1) AT&T has alot of bloatware/stock apps installed by default that I will never use. 2) After downloading apps & games most of them were lagging so I thought if I could uninstall the stock apps that I wont use it will free up enough memory to make other apps run smoother without lag... I was wrong. Even after uninstalling the stock apps and overclocking my device the apps still lag and I am tired of it...

I've been reading & researching for the past 4 months and trying to understand all of the technical terms involved with android devices but some of it I still don't understand but am very eager to learn.

Clockwork recovery: What is compatible for my device? How do I find it to download and install?

ROM: Is this referring to gingerbread, ICS, and Jelly Bean? Where can I find the best for my device and how to download and install? What is compatible for my device? Will flashing a newer rom speed up my device? Increase memory?

Kernel: I read that it is like a translator between the OS and software. Is this correct? How to find download and install? Will a newer kernel version speed up my device?

Is there anyway to increase the RAM? If so, how to? Will this speed up my device?

I know these are alot of questions for one thread but all in all what can I do to squeeze every bit of potential out of my I847 and prevent it from lagging?

Hi all.
I have a Samsung Rugby Smart SGH-I847 with root and my reason for rooting my device was because 1) AT&T has alot of bloatware/stock apps installed by default that I will never use. 2) After downloading apps & games most of them were lagging so I thought if I could uninstall the stock apps that I wont use it will free up enough memory to make other apps run smoother without lag... I was wrong. Even after uninstalling the stock apps and overclocking my device the apps still lag and I am tired of it...

I've been reading & researching for the past 4 months and trying to understand all of the technical terms involved with android devices but some of it I still don't understand but am very eager to learn.

Clockwork recovery: What is compatible for my device? How do I find it to download and install?

ROM: Is this referring to gingerbread, ICS, and Jelly Bean? Where can I find the best for my device and how to download and install? What is compatible for my device? Will flashing a newer rom speed up my device? Increase memory?

Kernel: I read that it is like a translator between the OS and software. Is this correct? How to find download and install? Will a newer kernel version speed up my device?

Is there anyway to increase the RAM? If so, how to? Will this speed up my device?

I know these are alot of questions for one thread but all in all what can I do to squeeze every bit of potential out of my I847 and prevent it from lagging?

Woo, a fresh mind :D! I'll break it down for ya:

Clockworkmod recovery: Any of them found in this section of the forums is compatible, there are 3 out at the moment.

ROM: This refers to "all of the above". A ROM is a flashable filesystem that rewrites partitions on the device. You can flash Gingerbread, ICS or Jellybean. These are linked to XDA from these boards.

Kernel: A kernel is the core of any linux system, and since Android is a derivative of the OS, it shares a similar setup. A kernel is necessary for true overclocking, and yes, it can speed up your system. My kernel, found here also, is generally faster and more stable than the stock one.

RAM: More would speed us up, but we're stuck with 355MB...

Ok Motorhead1991 thank you for the info.

I've decided that I am going to install Kemonine96's 6.0.1.1 CWMR and replace my stock kernel with your MH-1.2 kernel. Hopefully my lag problem will vanish.

Also, in your opinion, what is the best overclocking app?

And busybox... I understand that it is a root app installer but I'm not sure if I've used it right. I installed it opened it and did smart install then installed all of my other root apps. Was there anything else that I needed to do with busy box for the other root apps to work properly? I really appreciate the help.

Nope, busybox is just a binary toolbox, not an app. As for overclocking, I haven't done that yet, so all you'll have CPU control. For simple CPU control, Voltage Control works well.

The dalvik cache is a place where apps dump their resource files.Unless your ROM is deodexed, you don't need to worry about it too much. Unless you're adding and removing apps frequently, it won't hurt anything.

Update: I did a full system wipe/reset through recovery to try and resolve my download problem but no luck. Phone will dl ringtones & pics but will fail when attempting to dl CWMR, ODIN, and MH-1.2 kernel... Resetting did speed up phone "less lag" but still is noticeable.

Does anyone have any explanations for these problems?

get the samsung galaxy rugby pro! a much better phone then the rugby smart...i couldn't stand my rugby smart.i've got the ruby pro and its much better.

thats cool.the software on the rugby smart was terrible.i couldn't stand it.i have the jellybean update for my pro but i m not updating.i like ics. the rugby pro is only $99. one of the cheapest smart phones on the market. and its just as fast as my galaxy s3. so its like i have a galaxy s 3 mini ;). which those are only released over seas.

I agree, Touchwiz does suck. That's why we worked hard to bring AOSP onto the Smart :D. The Pro wasn't out yet when I was elligible for my upgrade (I didn't know about it till you posted the news...) so I went with the Smart instead.

As for comparison to the S3... Wanna knpw why that is? The Rugby Pro is a relative to the d2 boardtype (S3). In "the biz", the Pro is the Comanche revision of the d2att Galaxy S3.

Back
Top Bottom