• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scratches/Tears after 1 day of owning the droid

Having owned the droid for one day I already have a scratch on the plastic/metal? the side where you plug in the USB. Underneath there are a bunch of scribbles when I tried to plug it in the dark. Also the rubber on the back of the device... the rubber strip that is on top of the camera also has a noticeable tear. I have done nothing to the device except keep it in a clean pocket that had nothing else in it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Seems like solid build quality with the internal hardware well protected but I worry it can easily be cosmetically damaged.

Forgive my skepticism, but if you really only kept it in a clean pocket with nothing else in it, it wouldn't have a scratch or a tear on it.

Your point about the durability of the exterior may have merit, however it's undeniable that at some point during the last day, your phone came into contact with something a little sharper than pocket lint...

I've owneed it since Friday and have given it non stop use since then but I could sell the fone as new. No tears or any waer marks anywhere on the fone. I also don't have a screen protector yet. Try to go exchange it

My point is that I have no idea how the scratches/tears appear meaning that it can happen very easily. It was either in my pocket, or in my hand and at some point it acquired a tear and scratches (although the scratches were probably when I attempted to plug in the charger).

i could exchange it, but it would be my second exchange at Best Buy. My first exchange was because my battery would not charge. Anyone got a good excuse for exchanging it again? If i do exchange im going to get a silicon body protector and put it on immediately.

You could exchange it and tell them that it is defective unit and keeps rebooting like the lemons do. Thats what I would do if I wanted to exchange it.

i could exchange it, but it would be my second exchange at Best Buy. My first exchange was because my battery would not charge. Anyone got a good excuse for exchanging it again? If i do exchange im going to get a silicon body protector and put it on immediately.

Uh, put the protector on the Droid you have now. You won't be able to see those scratches anymore.

ill give it a shot, although I think having this scratch might actually be helpful for someone of my personality. I may just keep the device because im the type of person that goes crazy about keeping my phone in perfect condition. but after the first few scratches i stop caring and it actually ends up making the phone a lot more useable, less stressful and i become less paranoid. If i get an exchange i run the risk of getting a lemon as well. I think i might just keep my droid naked as well because i dont want a snap on that adds too much mass to the phone and also can lift the screen part of the phone away from the keyboard from the snap on teeth digging in between them. I was going to get a silicon case but after reading this post:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/16043-body-glove-case-messed-phone-up.html

I think i'll just roll naked and deal with cosmetic scratches so long as they are not on the screen, which i hear is pretty damn durable.

scratch test - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

ill try rolling naked, if i get a another cosmetic damage in the next 3 weeks ill try to exchange it... best buy has a 30 day exchange policy right?? if not then i'll just deal with it and hopefully it will make me less OCD.

Seems that I'm the first unlucky one to manage to get a scratch on the screen of my droid... It's pretty small but it's definitely a scratch. Doesn't go away no matter how many times I clean the screen and I can actually feel it with my fingernail. Oh well, maybe I'll think about a screen protector now.

I was in the mall the other day and outside of the Apple Store they have a both from a company called Zagg that sells scratch resistant screens for the iphone. I walked by and saw them applying one to a Droid and stopped and had mine done. It cost $20 for the screen or $35 for the whole phone. I just did the screen because I have a leather case for it. The screen is great and you can't notice it all. Best yet its a lifetime warranty, if somehow it starts to come off you just take your phone and the screen protector back and they put a new one on.

I just realized that I sound like a commercial for them. HAHA.

Seriously though I would check them out it you want to protect your phone.

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

I'll get the protector soon. I've seen thousands of testimonials and I've seen the key scratch video but mine definitely has a scratch on the screen. I'll try to get a picture later but I don't know if it will come out well.

Back
Top Bottom