• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Destroyed, recover files

SNeitzel

Android Enthusiast
I am working on a phone for a friend.
His screen is completely destroyed, both the glass and the LCD.
However, the phone does turn on, charges, rings, receives email etc. He wanted to recover pictures etc. off the phone but I cannot seem to get the PC to see it as a mass storage device. I installed the LG drivers, but the only device that shows up is the ADB interface.

Is there something else I'm missing? I am used to dealing with Moto phones and they mount as removable storage without any issues.

If it will not mount in windows, is there a way to recover pictures etc from the phone via ADB?

Thanks

I am working on a phone for a friend.
His screen is completely destroyed, both the glass and the LCD.
However, the phone does turn on, charges, rings, receives email etc. He wanted to recover pictures etc. off the phone but I cannot seem to get the PC to see it as a mass storage device. I installed the LG drivers, but the only device that shows up is the ADB interface.

Is there something else I'm missing? I am used to dealing with Moto phones and they mount as removable storage without any issues.

If it will not mount in windows, is there a way to recover pictures etc from the phone via ADB?

Thanks

Try downloading LG PC Suite and OSP to see if you can backup the G2. OSP can be used to see the phone screen on the computer. LG D801 White Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Try downloading LG PC Suite and OSP to see if you can backup the G2. OSP can be used to see the phone screen on the computer. LG D801 White Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA
Thanks doboy.

Unfortunately, the software is still not detecting the phone.
It warns "Please select the PC Software (LG Software) option in the USB connection mode in your phone." Since I can't do that and I'm sure he had never done it before, I'm guessing that's why it will not connect. Any way to force it?
Other options?

ADB interface is a good sign potentially. Had they used adb on the phone previously? That's a tough go these days because usb debugging is now in a hidden menu which had to be enabled at an earlier time and there's a one time popup on each new PC you connect with which requires RSA authentication in order to run adb...which requires a screen press to accept. :(

ADB interface is a good sign potentially. Had they used adb on the phone previously? That's a tough go these days because usb debugging is now in a hidden menu which had to be enabled at an earlier time and there's a one time popup on each new PC you connect with which requires RSA authentication in order to run adb...which requires a screen press to accept. :(
I'm sure he has never enabled USB debugging. Not the type of user that would know what it is for or ever have a need to use it. That's what I was afraid of... I think this one is a lost cause.

Thanks doboy.

Unfortunately, the software is still not detecting the phone.
It warns "Please select the PC Software (LG Software) option in the USB connection mode in your phone." Since I can't do that and I'm sure he had never done it before, I'm guessing that's why it will not connect. Any way to force it?
Other options?

Do you know if the wifi was on before the screen broke? My D-801 has wifi syncing on by default so I'm wondering if your friend's device also has it on by default. Try PC Suite's wifi syncing feature from his place.

Do you know if the wifi was on before the screen broke? My D-801 has wifi syncing on by default so I'm wondering if your friend's device also has it on by default. Try PC Suite's wifi syncing feature from his place.
The PC I was working on does not have WIFI.
But, that may be an option from a laptop. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.

No luck :(
Thanks for the idea.

I think you need to be on the same network as the one owner was on (if he did have his wifi on) so the phone will automatically connect to that network. I don't think the syncing works in ad hoc mode.

Back
Top Bottom