• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen goes blank during a call -common glitch?

monmur

Nov 22, 2010
Need to know if this is a bug or what! When I make a call, regardless of using speakerphone or holding the handset to my ear, the screen goes blank repeatedly during the call. This is not correlating with the screen time-out choice I have set (which is currently 2 minutes). For example, if I call a toll-free # and have to enter information on the dialpad at the automated prompts, I have to tilt the phone front to back to get the screen to come on again so I can see the dialpad to enter the numbers required. Again, this happens regardless of whether speakerphone is on or off. It's quite annoying to say the least, when I have to enter lots of things via the dialpad and keep tilting my phone just to do this. I also have to tilt the phone to get the screen to come back so I can use the end call slider. Do I have a bum Transform?

BTW, the sensor for holding it to my head works fine as designed (i.e. screen blanks when the phone is near my ear. I'm more concerned about the speakerphone usage and when the speakerphone is NOT on, but volume is up, so I hold the phone about 18" from my head, etc to hear the voice through the speaker (while speakerphone is OFF).

Upvote 0
I have a Transform and the screen goes blank exactly as you describe. It's especially ridiculous when you have to press numbers during a call. I have always assumed the phone is designed that way. I agree it is a pain in the neck but I'm guessing that's how Android phones work.

Just don't get me started on sliding the off button to end a call.

Upvote 0
Hmm, unless that sensor is on the side of the phone somewhere, I'm usually holding the phone away from me by 18" at least while on speakerphone and holding the phone by it's sides. The screen still goes dark (before my screen timeout of 2 mins, probably within 5 seconds or so) and I have to tilt/shake the phone forward and back to get the screen back. Very aggravating when I have to go through an automated menu and the screen keeps going dark on me!

Upvote 0
Ah yes, I see it. My finger isn't on the light sensor as I usually hold my phone by the sides midway down the phone when on speaker. Bummer. I have tried the power button to get the screen to come back during a call, but all that does is LOCK my phone screen and I have to swipe to unlock while on the call so I can get back to the dialpad to continue with number entry, etc. Love the speaker option, dislike the fact the screen won't stay lit and I have to tilt the phone or do as you suggest and hit the power button (and then unlock the screen). Gah. Murphy's Law strikes again!

Upvote 0
Thank you, your answer did help me this morning, I had my light sensor blocked (used for blanking the screen when held to your face to avoid touch screen activation against your face while talking on the phone). watch how you hold your phone, the sensor is on the front screen at the top next to the charging light for the boost mobile Transform Ultra.

Excellent forum

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones