• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Lags when plugged into charger

Strife21

I am having an issue with my brand new thunderbolt. Sometimes when its plugged in and charging the screen will eventually start to lag out. I can literally swipe like 3 times and screen wont move onto the next.

Also even on screen button presses become delayed. As soon as I remove the device from the charger the issue goes away. I am using the AC adapter charger and usb cable that came with the phone.

I took it to verizon today and explained my issue to tech support and his reply was that I should try not to use the phone while its charging.

He then took the phone in the back and claimed he couldn't replicate the problem so there is nothing he could do.

I have tried a battery pull which seemed to fix the problem for a while but then it eventually started happening again. I then factory reset the phone and still had the same issues. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

I've heard of similar issues on other devices, but not on the Bolt yet. I haven't noticed it on my phone. If it really is bothersome I would call VZW and saw you've brought it into multiple vzw's and they have factory reset, yada yada yada and it's still doing it and you want them to send you a new one.

I have had it happen to me, but only when using a charger from another device. I have tons of microusb ones around the house so i just use whichever one is closest. Stock charger = no lag. All the rest of them will cause it. :confused:

I noticed a restart gets rid of it but it seems if I go back into my email and out once its restarted I can sometimes typically cause it to happen again.

The battery pull seems to help for a while.

Not really sure if its worth calling vzw if its just going to happen on the new device I get.

I've been noticing that today. Happened while I was using the browser in landscape mode and I couldn't figure out what started it. A reboot fixes it but then it will come back later. I'll have to pay attention to whether the charger is connected next time it happens.

I have to look further into it as well. If my memory serves me correctly I think it only seems to happen when the battery is at full charge or near full charge and plugged into the charger.

I started a thread on this the first day I had it. It happened the first couple times I was charging the phone them hasn't happened since, so I'm hoping it won't occur again.

I noticed it does seem to happen right before its fully charged or is fully charged.

I guess I'll go to the verizon store again and try and have the replace my stock charger and usb cable with a new one to see if that resolves the issue.

I have the worst luck with my phones always some kind of issue.

This happens to me as well when plugged into an LG charger I have next to my bed and I am using the phone. Will have to experiment with other cables.

It's not the phone lagging, it's the touch screen becoming significantly less responsive for one reason or another. The touch screen only reacts to specific types of things touching it and the charging current my interfere with that in some way.

I've had this issue happen when plugged into an A/C outlet but when I have it plugged into my PC and charging from that the issue does not occur.

Well verizon offered to replace the phone, with a brand new one but I dont wanna do that if its just going to happen to the new phone as well, I'll have to go buy another screen protector grrr.

And yes I only see this happen when plugged into the A/C outlet.

So do you guys think this is normal? Are you worried about it? I wonder if all the phones are experiencing this behavior.

Can anyone confirm if it does it with the included charger/cable?

When I had my incredible there was a "grounding" issue that would not let you do anything on the phone if it was sitting on a desk or dock. A firmware update fixed the problem, hoping that's all that's needed here.

In the meantime, even with the very few minor issues/complaints, the phone is a keeper. Now just keeping my fingers crossed Big Red doesn't screw us and grandfathers us in!

Well I can confirm its doing it the included A/C charger/cable but I'd like to know if its happening to anyone else with OEM charger/cable as well.

I agree with the above comments about different chargers. You should only post here if your issues exist with the OEM Charger. Other chargers supply more or less power. I have seen this happen with other devices when charging them through a more powerful charger.

Well verizon gave me a new phone and new charging unit. I will post the results if does the same thing to me or not later tonight.

I noticed that when charging with the OEM charger, the screen will not timeout. It will dim, but never actually turn off completely.

I noticed that as well. I found a fix to that though. If you go to the display timeout settings set it to something different it will start going off like normal. Then you can just put it back to the default 1min timeout if you want and it will work.

Okay well after messing around with the new phone and charger that VZW exchanged for me for a full day I have not had one problem with the screen lagging or becoming unresponsive using the OEM charger. So either it was

a) the phone
b) the charger

On a side note the new phone down volume button doesnt really click or feel as tactile as the up volume button. (nor as clicky as my old TB's down button) I'm pretty sure if I tried to return the phone over this they would say I am nuts and not do it so I guess I'm stuck with this phone for the long haul. At least the lag is gone.

I plugged the TB into my laptop and don't have the lag. Also, no lag with the Motorola charger i'm using at my desk at the office. So far it's only the LG charger on my nightstand.

I wonder if I have the exact same problem as him with ONE of my cables.

I used it on my OG Droid, and with the tbolt, and when normally plugged in sitting on my desk, I can't do anything. It is jittery, non-responsive and weird mess. Whenever I'd hold the plug (the part plugged into the phone) a certain way everything would be fine. You may try a different cable/power jack on the wall and see if you get any different results. I'm not 100% sure why it happens, but it does. I have a feeling the USB cable I have is damaged somehow.

Hope this can help someone.

Back