• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen under unusual conditions

maerlim

Android Enthusiast
Hi, I was wondering if someone who owned this device could answer a few questions. I'm interested in how the screen looks (in 2d or 3d) under certain "unusual condition", specifically:

1) Sunlight
2) Wearing sunglasses
3) Wearing polarized sunglasses (polarized glasses do things to the light rays, so I'm curious how this affects this special screen, especially in 3d).
4) High viewing angles. Can I show a group of people a video I took of my kid (in 3d, or in 2d?)
5) I understand there's a "sweet spot" for 3d viewing. If you are not in that sweet spot, does the image look doubled, or do you just not see the 3d effect?

Thanks all!

Hi, I was wondering if someone who owned this device could answer a few questions. I'm interested in how the screen looks (in 2d or 3d) under certain "unusual condition", specifically:

1) Sunlight
2) Wearing sunglasses
3) Wearing polarized sunglasses (polarized glasses do things to the light rays, so I'm curious how this affects this special screen, especially in 3d).
4) High viewing angles. Can I show a group of people a video I took of my kid (in 3d, or in 2d?)
5) I understand there's a "sweet spot" for 3d viewing. If you are not in that sweet spot, does the image look doubled, or do you just not see the 3d effect?

Thanks all!
1. Don't try to watch anything in 3D while in sunlight it's too hard to see the effect.
2.Not sure but propably would hinder the effect.
3. Not sure but might even cancel out the effect.
4. You can only see 3D pictures in the sweet spot. If you are not in the sweet spot you will see one picture at one angle, it's hard to explain, but you won't see two separate images when not in the sweet spot. But you can easily view 3D content in 2D if you want to show something to multiple people at once, otherwise in 3D they each need to hold the device in their hands.
5. Image isn't doubled. Don't see 3D effect. 2 pictures are used for one 3D image, you only see one of those pictures if not in the sweet spot.

1) Sunlight
2) Wearing sunglasses

Thanks all!

Hi, first off the screen is really nice and bright, excellent I'd say. (my previous phone had one of the first amoled screens, this is better)

1........seems as good as any
2.......goes darker as you would expect, I prefer to lift my sunnies (guess I could increase brightness, generally only have it at 30-50%)
3........not tried my polarized ones yet, same as above I'd guess, see note below.
4........2D yes, 3D yes if they don't mind blurry :-) ie. no
5........it looks terrible out side the sweet spot, you won't get the effect more than a few degrees off centre. This is why they can't use it on TV's yet.

The system used is (I believe) not unlike polarizing lenses, if you turn the phone to portrait mode the effect is lost.

Pete

Just on the polarized question, whit the phone in the upright position you can't see a thing, turn it 90deg and you can see everything.

Back
Top Bottom